We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January - Best weather and best budget choice?

Canada
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
January - Best weather and best budget choice?

Travelling from Halifax NS so our choices within a resonable AI budget are Cuba, DR, Mexico, and possible Jamaica ( always a little more $)

We have been to Cuba in January before and find it chilly so would prefer to rule that out. We have been to Mexico the last two years so may rule that out.

Between DR and Jamaica, where is the hotter weather in January? We have not been to either place, as we like to explore off resort and visit local towns. DR didn't seem to offer that?

Once I can focus on a country, then I hope to zone in on the location!

Really on a tight budget for this trip and January seems to be cheaper month to travel.

Any suggestions?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,517 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January - Best weather and best budget choice?

Somewhere that might be a balance of exploring off-resort and beach that you didn't mention would be Puerto Rico...Might be worth a look.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January - Best weather and best budget choice?

That would be a dream destination but way off the budget from Nova Scotia. We have very limited choices for AI vacations on a budget with a direct flight. With only 7 days to enjoy we hate to spend time traveling through different airports. Someday...

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January - Best weather and best budget choice?

It has been almost 10 years since I have been to the Domincan Republic, and I haven't been to Jamaica, but at the time/location (La Romana) I visited the DR, it really was pretty limited in terms of exploring outside the resort on your own. The infrastructure and development was not there. As a female, and often as a solo,traveler, I have not seriously considered Jamaica because of my perception (right or wrong) that it is not the safest island.

In terms of weather, I would say they are going to be close temperature wise. As long as you don't hit a particularly cold/rainy/windy period (which often impact fairly broad areas of the Caribbean), both should be fine. Here is a link to a site for checking weather by month for worldwide locations: http://www.climatetemp.info/

Personally, I think the best value for AI on a tight budget is Mexico or the DR, and I would lean towards Mexico because it is very easy to do things outside the resort.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January - Best weather and best budget choice?

Thanks Beachdreams. You definitely know where I'm coming from with this question. I guess DR will be my focus now since we have been to Mexico 3 times.

I need input on DR places we can visit direct flight from N S. there are 5 places listed on the charter travel sites for DR. Budget plus off resort experience.

Thanks for replying!

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,438 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January - Best weather and best budget choice?

DR won't be quite as warm as Jamaica, but I'm not sure the difference would be worth worrying about. Jamaica does have more excursions and such, but neither is really great on that. The most likely destination in DR is Punta cana and DR/Punta Cana has a very active forum here on TA so I'd suggest you post over there for some specific resort suggestions.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
100 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January - Best weather and best budget choice?

Punta Cana, La Romana, or Samana have more of a tropical beachy feel in the DR.

Edited: 01 July 2012, 18:52
Canada
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January - Best weather and best budget choice?

I've been looking at Casa Marina in Sousa. It seems to be a location that fits our style. A few restaurants and a town that can be walked to.

Alternatively, I'm also price watching Samsara in Negril Jamaica.

Schedules only allow for January travel or none at all, and that is no good!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,162 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: January - Best weather and best budget choice?

I too think the DR will fit thebill..........I've been in January and we had fabulous weather.......hot and sunny every day...........................not a lot of exploring of other towns, but can be good choice budget wise.....we have been Punta Cana area whenever we have gone to DR.................

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: January - Best weather and best budget choice?

Hi, you should consider Huatulco Mexico.

I've been there in January the past 2 years and the weather is excellent.

30C every day. Gotta Love it!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,162 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: January - Best weather and best budget choice?

OP says she has ruled Mexico out..........been 3 times.........