We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in mid october - where to go?

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
2 weeks in mid october - where to go?

Hi guys,

So I am turning 40 and I have 2 weeks off in mid October for my birthday. I want to do something special but not break the bank. My idea was to relax on a nice beach and try my hand at surfing (something I have always wanted to try).

Hawaii is on my list - but just airfare and hotel for my girlfriend and I are costing around 6200. No food, booze, or activities. We prefer nicer hotels (4 star and up). We thought about Thailand but it seems to be the rainy season.

I am hoping some of you more travelled folks out there can suggest some other options. We'd be leaving from NYC and will have 10-12 days to spend some where.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in mid october - where to go?

Bermuda is a direct flight from NYC. There's clear blue water and pure white sand. The food and shopping is outstanding. Enjoy your trip.

http://www.cambridgebeaches.com/

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,079 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in mid october - where to go?

Mike.............since you are on the east coast and want 2 weeks "without breaking the bank" I'm going to suggest the Dominican Republic...Punta Cana very nice hotels and gorgeous beach, more resonable than some other more exotic islands...........don't know about the surfing though.......I'm thinking those huge waves are more a Pacific coast kind of thing?

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in mid october - where to go?

I would take a look at Barbados. jetBlue has a nonstop flight from JFK. There are many lodging choices at different prices ranges. The East coast of Barbados has good surfing and you can take lessons there, although most of the lodging is on the South or West coasts.

Take a look at The Crane hotel. It is a nice place for a special trip and close to the surf areas. You should be able to find decent rates in October.

I would have recommended Costa Rica, but October is one of the rainiest months there.

4. Re: 2 weeks in mid october - where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 05:16
Get answers to your questions