We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach vacation for a family with teenagers??

Oregon
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
beach vacation for a family with teenagers??

We are a family of four looking for a beach vacation with our two teenage girls (16 and 18) for spring break in March.

We've been to Hawaii, several Club Meds in Mexico: Cancun, Ixtapa, the Allegro in Turks & Caicos, and Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, and Sanibel Florida (all with our "bigger" extended family of 10 with support from grandpa!).

We are coming from Oregon, with a daughter in college in the midwest. We would definitely consider going back to Playa del Carmen or Cozumel but everything I look at is so expensive including airfare and I just can't justify spending more than $7,000 on a weeks vacation. What about Florida?? Love to hear any thoughts?!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,567 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach vacation for a family with teenagers??

AnnieMay....I've been to the places you describe and they're great spots.....I just love Playa Del Carmen....have you looked into a rental there, or a not all inclusive..........that would be less expensive, and there are lots available........anyway, having said that, I think Florida is a great idea........I really like it there.......it may not be super hot in March, though I have been to Orlando in February and it was really nice....we even drove to Cocoa Beach ..........you could try your question on a forum for Florida in the area your thinking of....ie...Orlando, Miami,Fort Lauderdale, etc and see what info you can get.......

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,567 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach vacation for a family with teenagers??

Are you looking at Club Med again? I find them to be a little on the expensive side.....try the pricing of other resorts in PDC as well....also, have a look at the Dominican Republic, Punta Cana area, lots of nice resorts, beautiful beach..............March is a rather expensive time to travel, unfortunately.........

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,397 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach vacation for a family with teenagers??

If you enjoyed the Club Med resorts, you could try the one in Punta Cana. As you know, Club Med is great for providing activities for the whole family. It is relatively reasonable for what you get. Of course, March, especially spring break time, is an expensive time to go to the Caribbean.

By the way, the Turks & Caicos Allegro is no more. About 6 or 7 years ago it was damaged by a storm. It sat empty for a couple of years and was then torn down and a new condo/rental resort, the Seven Stars has been built in it's place. We've kept up with the history because we like to go the the Club Med there, just up the beach from where the Allegro used to be (and the Ramada before it was turned into the Allegro).

4. Re: beach vacation for a family with teenagers??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions