We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a great active vacation

Bloomingdale, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Need a great active vacation

In search of a warm vacation with good beaches and opportunities for lots of physical activity (snorkel, water sports, hike, horseback ride, etc...). Can be all-inclusive or not. Can be USA or not (DR, PR, Carribean, etc...). Any ideas?

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,654 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a great active vacation

What time of year?? how long?? have you been to hawaii?? some info..

Bloomingdale, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a great active vacation

Thanks for asking. We would prefer to travel in the spring/near future. Unfortunately, our much beloved 16 y/o dog is failing fast and we figure the only way to deal with it will be to "get out of Dodge". We have never been to Hawaii but we have been to Tahiti.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,654 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a great active vacation

Confused? are you "getting out of dodge", while the dog is sick..sorry, i don't quite understand. is it that you may 'wait" now??

if you have more time. try fiji...we took the "captain cook sailing safari"..fabulous. the best snorkeling, villages, ect. at first, i thought it would be a bit "hokey", but it was one of our best trips..then we went to another island in the yasawas...fab..then flew to kandavu...matava resort..heaven.

Bloomingdale, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a great active vacation

When the time comes and he has to be put down, we hope to leave town quickly after as a distraction. Hence the need for a really physical vacation. I think our hope is to make ourselves so physically exhausted that we won't be able to think about it too much.

We know there will be a large surcharge for last-minute travel, and we are prepared to pay it.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,086 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a great active vacation

Daisy............actually, if you can be somewhat flexible, instead of a surcharge, you can save a lot on last minute travel....

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,654 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a great active vacation

eden,

they don't care about a surcharge...'

well, DAISY142...fiji, would be so tranquil for you...the yasawa islands have some incredible atolls..they just come out of the ocean..tranquil, heavenlike. the food is fabulous. there are hikes and village walks..some of the best snorkeling in the world (ever seen nemo..he lives there!!) and on kandavu island..there is one of the best reefs in the world...and did i mention how gracious and wonderful the fijians are..peace and tranquility..

you will find a great place.

also, croatia is wonderful..i have some great connections there. let me know.

thinkin of the doggie.

Bloomingdale, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a great active vacation

Thank you so much for the ideas. I will begin research on Fiji and Croatia.

Bloomingdale, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a great active vacation

I would be very interested in looking at last minute travel deals. The websites I have visited all seem to want dates and a destination. I would love to find a site where the last minute deals from the NYC area are just there to peruse. Any ideas?

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,398 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a great active vacation

Hi Daisy.

Second charlie48. Fiji is a great mix of relaxation and lots of activities.

If budget isn't a problem, have a look at Qamea and Matangi, our favorite resort in Fiji. Both are small adults only resorts.

Matangi has amazing snorkeling. Lots of fish giant clams, blue starfish, soft, hard and plate coral. There are kayaks and a small catamaran for use. You can also hike around around the island and over look Horseshoe Bay. They private luncheon there, is a must do. Nothing like having a private beach all to yourself.

Tours to the Bouma Water Waters Falls, Lavena Coastal Walk on nearby Taveuni are also available.

Qamea also offers the same tours on Taveuni.

If budget is an issue, Coconut Beach Cottages, and Garden Island Resort on Taveuni have what you are looking for. Also have a book at Rainbow Reef Resort, a short boat ride from Taveuni.

If you are interested in Fiji, suggest you post on the Fiji Forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294331-i883-Fiji.…

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,753 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need a great active vacation

stick with hawaii...

logistically, easier to get to from the states... i believe united has direct flights from EWR.....or, you can go thru the west coast....

for hiking, scenery, water sports, check out maui and/or kauai.... the big island offers great hiking as well as live volcanic viewing....

whatever island you go to, you can't go wrong....

these books spell out many adventurous opportunities....

http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/

Get answers to your questions