We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Snorkeling getaway recommendations

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
82 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic Snorkeling getaway recommendations

We just got back from Maui and loved it. I would love to plan another beach vacation in the future, but don't know where to start. Our trips main focus is snorkeling and relaxing. We loved Maui for the ability to snorkel many different beaches, we loved the lack of bugs (could keep the lanai door open at night and didn't get eaten up, we loved the weather and the aloha of the locals. For our first beach vacation we stayed in the US, but would we willing to venture out for outstanding snorkeling. Our concerns for leaving the country would be the cost and the language. I would appreciate any destination recommendations.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,123 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Snorkeling getaway recommendations

If you like snorkeling off the beach at lots of different sites with excellent conditions, it is hard to bear the island of Bonaire. There are about 50 different beach accessible, named, and described snorkel sites. The downside is that there is not much in the way of a classic white sand beach on Bonaire. Most beaches are rocky ironstone or busted up coral.

Most resorts are relatively small and the restaurants are also small but excellent. Relatively little air service to Bonaire and it is usually somewhat expensive, but hotels are very moderately priced.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
82 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Snorkeling getaway recommendations

Thank you for recommending Bonaire. I had never even considered there. I have enjoyed learning of beautiful snorkeling destinations outside of the US.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,123 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Snorkeling getaway recommendations

If you want a better view of Bonaire, check my trip reports at www.hammocktree.us/ms/trips.html and scroll down to see the several Bonaire reports. We are primarily windsurfers (which Bonaire is also great for) but also snorkel some on days when the wind is not blowing.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Snorkeling getaway recommendations

Also look along the Yucatan Peninsula near the Cancun/Cozumel coastline of Mexico. Home of the world's second largest reef, there are many dive and snorkel sites. You can easily take a resort course in diving for an even better experience. There are many dive resorts, all inclusives, and packages to choose from.

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic Snorkeling getaway recommendations

The US Virgin Islands offer great snorkeling also.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic Snorkeling getaway recommendations

A few other recommendatins for Caribbean destinations that have above average snorkeling are: Grand Cayman (Cayman Islands), St. John (USVI) and Providenciales (Turks & Caicos Islands). All are Englixh speaking destinations, so no language barrier. They are not cheap destinations, but neither is Maui.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic Snorkeling getaway recommendations

The outer islands of Fiji have amazing snorkeling, beautiful soft, white sand beaches, and crystal clear water.

It is a long haul from the states, but worth it. Wide range of accommodations depending on budget, and what you want in a resort i.e., large, small, kids or not kids. Everything from large hotel chains, to private island, adults only resorts.

No language barrier, everyone speaks english. The Fijian people are the most genuinely friendly, caring people on the planet with a great since of humor. Resort staff go above and beyond to insure your vacation is all you hope for and more. They will share their lives as well as the history/culture of Fiji with you. We were even invited by a staff member to go their home. An amazing experience. As strange as it sounds, you arrive as guests, and depart as part of their family.

It is much different than Hawaii. The pace is much slower, and time literally slows to crawl. Nothing happens very fast. Much different than the hectic life in states where everything is go go...gotta be here....gotta do this. "Fiji Time" takes some getting use to, but didn't take us long to go with the flow so to speak. Made us relax, and do as much as we wanted or to do nothing at all except lay/snorkel on the beach with a good book and drink and get back in touch with each other.

Edited: 17 May 2013, 01:32
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
82 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic Snorkeling getaway recommendations

Thanks to all who have given recommendations. I am enjoying learning all about these different destinations. Amateurgo, I had fun viewing and reading your trip reports.

I have a silly question for everyone, of all the destinations that are great for snorkeling, is their one that is less buggy than the others?

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Romantic Snorkeling getaway recommendations

The great thing about Fiji, is you can snorkel off the beach at most resorts. Resorts also offer snorkeling tours to other islands/reefs in the area.

As for bugs/mosquitos, they are to be expected wherever you go in the topics. They will be worse during the rainy season. Has been our experience mosquitos came out in Fiji during the evening, and also after it rained. Didn't have a problem with them during the day.

Resort accommodations have screened louvered windows which allow the ocean breeze in, but keep the bugs and mosquitos out.

Edited: 18 May 2013, 02:32
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Romantic Snorkeling getaway recommendations

Meant to mention Fiji has a wide range of accommodations depending on budget and what you want in a resort. We prefer the outer islands as they have the best beaches, turquoise water, spectacular snorkeling, and a more relaxed atmosphere than resorts on the main island of Viti Levu. The following links have pictures of our vacations to Navini, Viwa, and Matangi, our favorite resort in Fiji. Will give you an idea of the bures, resort grounds, beach, snorkeling, etc.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0439-1408-d5f4…

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-042f-1fde-de34…

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0758-63f0-a16d…

Get answers to your questions