We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Del Carmen resort but on a different island? Ideas?

Minneapolis...
3 posts
Save Topic
Playa Del Carmen resort but on a different island? Ideas?

I’m looking for a couple of recommendations for a February 2014 vacation! I’ve spent hours looking at all the different islands in the Caribbean and now I’m over whelmed! My husband and I are 35 y.o. and other couples might be joining us.

In the pass we’ve been to Mexico and the Dominican and we’ve stayed at AI resorts. We love Playa Del Carmen. We like to venture off of 5th and visit some of the locals for their wonderful food, drinks, culture and shopping! Dominican had great beaches but you couldn’t leave your resort.

We need something new! We are looking for the beautiful beaches during the day but then venturing off (hopefully walking or short taxi ride) into a cute town for the evening for drinks and food with other vacationers and the locals well being safe. We are weighing our options with AI hotels but we don’t know anything different so it’s hard! We like the easy access to drinks and food but by day 4 we can’t eat it any longer! Budget is $1500- $1800 pp, including air.

Looking for a destination just like Playa Del Carmen with a resort in town (or close) but somewhere new…. Please help!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,550 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Del Carmen resort but on a different island? Ideas?

Have you looked at Costa Rica? There is a more touristy AI area in the north, near LIB airport. The beach scene is a little different; you don't get the immaculate "blue" water and white sand - but the adventure aspect (day trips for ziplines, volcano, etc) are a pretty good replacement. Other places, removing Mexico and DR; Barbados, Puerto Rico, USVI.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,594 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Del Carmen resort but on a different island? Ideas?

St-Martin is a great island to look at then, you will find lots of diversity there, as the island is 1/2 French and 1/2 Dutch........lots to do and see, although not many all-inclusive resorts....

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,594 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Del Carmen resort but on a different island? Ideas?

Another thought is to just go to another city/area in Mexico, as you seem to like it there....

Cabo San Lucas and San Jose Del Cabo are only 15-20 miles away from each other and both wonderful towns to visit, with many hotels/resorts in and around them.....

Puerto Vallarta and Nuevo Vallarta are also similar.....great all-inclusives, and not if you want, and excellent places to visit too........

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Del Carmen resort but on a different island? Ideas?

If you like Mexico, how about Isla Mujeres or Cozumel?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,585 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Del Carmen resort but on a different island? Ideas?

I also enjoyed a vacation in Sayulita - no AI's, though some are near there. Great little beach town, but Isla Mujeres has my heart - but it is much smaller than PdC.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,398 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Del Carmen resort but on a different island? Ideas?

we love salulita, quiet village feeling, and right next to punta mita...can get a fix of a huge hotel there!

7. Re: Playa Del Carmen resort but on a different island? Ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions