We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warmest Mid-Winter Beach Trip (Water temp and outdoor temp)?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Warmest Mid-Winter Beach Trip (Water temp and outdoor temp)?

Hello all! I recently got married and we are delaying our honeymoon until this winter. We want to escape the cold in the states and go to a nice beach destination.

Based on everyone's knowledge and experiences, what is the best place that fits the criteria below?

-Ideal January or early February beach destination

-No more than 6 to 8 hours flight from the Southeast U.S.

-Warm(est) ocean water temperature (Preferably 80F+)

-Warm nights (Mid 70s+) and good weather.

-Wonderful beaches and clear water

-A quality, all inclusive resort with nice amenities (pools, selection of restaurants, etc.)

Thanks for your help!

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warmest Mid-Winter Beach Trip (Water temp and outdoor temp)?

To be sure of getting the really warm air and water like that, you should head down to the ABC Islands: Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao. For a first time traveler, Aruba is probably the best bet and it has the best beaches. If you need a full All-Inclusive, the RIU palace is probably the best bet, but it is a rather large and impersonal resort. It is on Palm beach, which is along the "high-rise" section. I think that Eagle beach ("low-rise" section) is a nicer beach. In this area is the Bucuti. It is not an AI, but they do provide breakfast and offer an "dine-around" option for some of the many excellent restaurants on Aruba. It is a very nice resort and very appropriate for a (delayed) honeymoon.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warmest Mid-Winter Beach Trip (Water temp and outdoor temp)?

I agree. Aruba would be my choice too.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warmest Mid-Winter Beach Trip (Water temp and outdoor temp)?

Another vote for Aruba. I also agree with AmateurGo about considering non-AI properties, including Bucati Aruba has some AIs, but it is not really the best destination for luxury, adults-only AIs that many people want for honeymoons. Part of Bucati is adults only (Tara Suites), but the whole resort is more adult focused.

I ididn't look at any of the AIs for my trip to Aruba, but among the Palm Beach hotels, I liked the Radisson where I stayed because of its less crowded beach and less high rise feel. I've heard good things about the Hyatt too.

On Eagle Beach, the Machebo, next to Bucati is more basic and less expensive.

I would suggest you don't travel during President's week in February, as that week is going to be a lot more crowded with more family vacations.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warmest Mid-Winter Beach Trip (Water temp and outdoor temp)?

Thank you for the suggestions! I may go to Aruba. I've never been, as the only Gulf/Carribean places I have been are The Bahamas, Jamaica and Cancun. In January or February, will the waters be very warm, and the nights be warm and pleasant as well? Also, how is Costa Rica in Jan/Feb for beach-goers?

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warmest Mid-Winter Beach Trip (Water temp and outdoor temp)?

I agree with Aruba. My lodging pics would be Manchebo or Bucuti hotels.

I was first going to suggest Costa Rica. It is beautiful that time of year, and the weather will be nice and warm. The reason I did not suggest it is that you asked for clear water. Costa Rica does not have that clear, turquoise water that one associates with the Caribbean islands. That being said, I still love Costa Rica and highly recommend it.

I would also give Barbados a serious look. It has everything that you are seeking. I wouldn't recommend AI because there are many good restaurants on the island.

Edited: 07 November 2013, 16:36
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warmest Mid-Winter Beach Trip (Water temp and outdoor temp)?

You need to research on Huatulco Mexico. Perfect hot weather from Nov. - May. Many beaches to explore, safe, clean, great food and not many hotels to have to pick from, something for every budget.

Costa Rica would be great but a totally different type of trip. IMO a more active, excursion focused place, if you are looking for that as opposed to beach and sun.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,399 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warmest Mid-Winter Beach Trip (Water temp and outdoor temp)?

ah, i would pick anywhere but Aruba..for some reason. Very touristy for me.Check out Costa Rica, they have great beaches and good food, one of my requirements!!

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warmest Mid-Winter Beach Trip (Water temp and outdoor temp)?

Normally I would agree with you about Aruba Charley, but in this case I believe the OP has not traveled much (maybe to Mexico?) and I think Aruba makes a good first destination in the Caribbean. It is enough like the US (I consider it to be "Ft Lauderdale of the Caribbean") that beginning US travelers will feel comfortable but still experience something new. For more experienced travelers I might suggest Curacao or Bonaire, but that would be a bit of a shock for many people.

I love Costa Rica also; it is an interesting and exciting place to visit, with the zip-lines, Arenal Volcano, cloud forest and beaches. But, I was not impressed with the beaches; although scenic and wide, they are Pacific/West Coast style beaches with dark and coarse sand and the almost constant wave action keeps the water/sand stirred up so we found the visibility to be rather poor. But, if the OP is interested in trying surfing, it would certainly make for a good option.

By the way Charley, I was surprised to see your ID on some Oregon (McMinnville) posts recently... you get around quite a bit!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,399 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warmest Mid-Winter Beach Trip (Water temp and outdoor temp)?

we do amateur...it is very close to us!!! and we have friends there. i guess that Aruba would be good, i just didn't like it myself..

i would say Thailand, so romantic and has it ALL...but not a 6 hour flight!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warmest Mid-Winter Beach Trip (Water temp and outdoor temp)?

How about Beaches Resort on Grace Bay Beach, Provo in Turks and Caicos? MIght not be as warm as Aruba (which is not my favorite island) but meets some of your requirements.

Edited: 20 November 2013, 22:29
Get answers to your questions