We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon...but where in the Caribbean to go??

12 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon...but where in the Caribbean to go??

Hi everyone,

Getting frustrated with finding the perfect honeymoon destination.

Travelling from UK to Las Vegas for 3/4 nights. Then drive through Yosemite. Stay in San Fran for 3 nights, travel down west coast stopping off then LA for 2 nights.

After all that for my husband to be, we are travelling to Caribbean for 10 nights.

Been to Dominican, Mexico and Jamaica so far, stayed at Secrets St James and El Dorado Royale and loved both. Now need somewhere even more impressive for honeymoon.

Seen all the adverts for these luxurious destinations, white sandy beaches, calm seas, day cabana bed, swim up bars, gourmet restaurants, adults only destinations...but where in the world are they!!

Please help.

Thank you. :-)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,623 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon...but where in the Caribbean to go??

When I read your post, several questions came to me. When do you plan to travel? Do you have restrictions on budget? Although I've never gone myself, I read about more remote locations like St. Lucia or Anguilla or Bonaire. There are many luxurious resorts in the Riviera Maya area, south of Cancun - some are close to 5*. I've never been to DR, but when I think of torquoise blue water and white sandy beaches, I think of RM region of Mexico.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon...but where in the Caribbean to go??

As bk_t1 says, it would be helpful to know more info. It sounds like you are looking for an All-Inclusive resort, but you have already been to the primary AI destinations (DR, Mexico, Jamaica). I would suggest one of a couple of non-AI destinations, especially Providenciales, Turks & Caicos. It has a number of "low-density" resorts along the best beach in the Caribbean and offers an excellent range of eating choices. Few really "adult only" resorts, but very few families/children visit the higher end resorts. Check out Seven Stars, Somerset, Grace Bay Club for examples, but avoid Beaches (very kid/family oriented and crowded). If you really want AI and luxury, check out Parrot Cay on a small island just north of Provo; very quiet and very nice. Anguilla is another possibility with multiple nice beaches and small resorts, but is a bit more trouble to get to. St Lucia is a beautiful lush island, but no really good sandy beaches. I love Bonaire (been about 10 times) that is great for diving/snorkeling and windsurfing, but no real beaches and no luxurious/fancy resorts.

12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon...but where in the Caribbean to go??

Sorry forgot to put on what im after..

All inclusive..adults only..budget of up to £3000 for the two us for 10 nights.

Wanting beautiful beach.

Cabana day beds.

Swim up bar.

Waiter service on beach and by pool.

Possibly swim up room.. if in sun.

Few restaurants.

20-30 year old couples..

Hagerstown, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon...but where in the Caribbean to go??

Having stayed at the El Dorado Seaside Suites I know the quality and service you are looking for. Being a repeat customer and on your honeymoon, I can only imagine what you could expect. There are swim-up suites or you could try a Presidential Studio with it's private pool.

Since you will already be on the west coast though, why not look at Hawaii? Although there are no all inclusive resorts, there are cruises that visit the islands which include your food. Explore what the different islands have to offer.

Best Wishes!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,939 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon...but where in the Caribbean to go??

If you didn't want AI, and you are already on the Pacific coast, I would say to fly to Hawaii. What about St. Lucia? Oh, that has been mentioned. :)

12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon...but where in the Caribbean to go??

Did look at hawaii but wanted AI and liked the idea of caribbean which isnt as built up as hawaii is.

Did look at St Lucia its just finding the right hotel..is the sand white sand there some pictures it didnt look great.

Thanks

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,939 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon...but where in the Caribbean to go??

It really depends what island you look at . . . some are not built up at all and stunningly gorgeous! My favorite is Kauai simply because of that - looks much like Tahiti. :)

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon...but where in the Caribbean to go??

St Lucia does not have great beaches... mostly small and somewhat rocky.

If you are after great beaches, a number of Caribbean beaches are much better than the Hawaii beaches (my opinion). For example, Grace Bay Beach on Providenciales in the Turks & Caicos has fine, very white sand, is very wide and goes on for 12 miles. problem is, the two AI resorts there don't meet your requirements. Beaches is nice but very large and crowded and very kid friendly. Club Med has the best beach and is adults only, but it is far from luxurious... a 3-star at best. It is a lot of fun, but not a romantic destination for a honeymoon.

The closest you are going to come are resorts in Punta Cana, DR, Negril Beach, Jamaica, or Rivera Maya in Mexico and I realize you have already been to them but they are looking like the best bet.

One possibility... Although in Mexico and near Cancun, Isla Mujeres is a bit different. The Isla Mujeres Palace is "Couples Only" and is highly rated. Might be worth taking a look at....

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,939 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon...but where in the Caribbean to go??

I do love Isla Mujeres - was just there a few weeks ago. The water is amazing, but the scenery of that area is pretty flat. I find Kauai much more stunning and less busy.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon...but where in the Caribbean to go??

Unfortunately, as noted in another thread on this forum, beautiful beaches very seldom go along with beautiful lush scenery. The best beaches are on relatively desert-like islands; that is just the way it works. Even on the islands that do have both, like Dominican Republic and Jamaica, the nice beaches are quite distance from the lush mountains. You can either have one or the other, or compromise on both....

Get answers to your questions