We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Building my own holiday

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Building my own holiday

Hi I have been looking into building my own holiday i,e Booking flights room and transfers separate myself. I was almost about to book with alpha rooms when I checked reviews for them and haven't been impressed that I will even get the hotel I am booking. Does anyone know any companies who are trustworthy for this sort of thing and has anyone ever travelled via Alpharooms.

Thanks Regards

Kirsty

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,489 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Building my own holiday

Hi

Out if interest why are you wanting to build your own holiday

With the very rare exception we have always found in cheaper to buy our trip through a TA and we normally do 21 nights multi-resort trip which can be quite difficult to put together

We have used Caribbean Warehouse for all our trips since 2007

http://caribbeanwarehouse.co.uk/

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Building my own holiday

Hi Thanks for the reply, I am wanting to try build it myself as Ive heard people say they have saved between £300 and £500 over the last few years. Now it has struck my interest to try it. However I am wary that my holiday wont actually be legit once I arrive at the hotel. I am finding Travel companies are very expensive at the moment I am looking to go to Icmeler for 14 nights and the cheapest I can find flying from Glasgow is £1300 and thats B n B which may as well be self catering. I could give your link a try and see what prices I get quoted thanks

edit: I have just realised your link says carribeanholidays :/ maybe not suitable for me. Should have said originally where I was looking to go.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 20:08
3. Re: Building my own holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 January 2014, 12:05
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,489 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Building my own holiday

Hi again

You should find that the price charged for the airfare is the same if you book it direct or through a TA or packager

Going to Europe you may well find it cheaper booking direct but just make sure you have the relevant statuary rights. You could also consider booking direct with the property

If you have a particular destination in mind I would suggest posting your question on the relevant destination forum and asking people which company they used and if they experienced any problems

Good luck

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Building my own holiday

Hi I had a good research last night after posting this and Travel agents are roughly £500 more expensive than booking it all seperately.

looks like I found my answer now off to the forums to find the most trustworthy places to book room flight and transfer etc.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,489 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Building my own holiday

Let is know how you get on and make sure you also take out adequate travel insurance if you have not already done so

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Building my own holiday

Thank you for all your help and comments peeps. Yip I have TI with my bank very good cover :)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,489 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Building my own holiday

Good to hear

I am still amazed where you read horror stories where people have travelled without it and something has gone seriously wrong

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Building my own holiday

It may be worth looking at the price the hotel will charge if you book direct with them.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,489 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Building my own holiday

Hi again

One thing I should have added about booking your own accommodation direct is that the price may be quoted in a foreign currency such as Euros or US$ and it which case that is the price you buy at and not Sterling if you are from the UK

So you will need to be wary of currency fluctuation between the time of booking to when you pay