We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to find warm weather vacation spots in December?

Bellevue, Washington
1 post
Save Topic
Where to find warm weather vacation spots in December?

I need to use a $1,000 airplane ticket before the end of this year and the only time I can take off time from work is December. I need suggestions for places to visit that are rich in history and culture, like Spain or Greece perhaps, that are still pleasant weather even in December. Thank you! I will be travelling with a (girl) friend from work; we have travelled to Europe together before and enjoyed it very much.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,022 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to find warm weather vacation spots in December?

You might want to do a search on www.skyscanner.com or use www.kayak.com/explore to get an idea of pricing for various regions and general areas. I'm doubtful that $1000 can get you over to Europe, but you might look at Central or South America options.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to find warm weather vacation spots in December?

In December, other than right around the holidays, I suspect $1000 would buy a RT ticket to Europe. However, I don;t think you will find much warmth there in December.

I would look south, like to Brazil or Chile or Peru, or especially to Australia. From the west coast of the US, I think Australia would be a very good option.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,289 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to find warm weather vacation spots in December?

Sicily is rich in both culture and history, and amazing food, as an added bonus.....the daytime average temperature in December is a very pleasant 14C - 58F....., so fine for sightseeing.....the island will be dressed for the holidays with lots of Christmas Lights and celebrations....

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to find warm weather vacation spots in December?

Belize? Costa Rica? Puerto Rico? All these places have wonderful culture.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,902 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to find warm weather vacation spots in December?

Rich in history and culture and warm.......that's a tough one on your budget.

Spain is only warmish on the coast in December right to the south and you should check the climate averages, rainfall and day length. Even slightly into the hills to Granada where the culture starts is is going to be chilly. It is midwinter and many places close so you will need to research. The cheapest times tend to be 1st week in December and 1st week in January for Europe as the rest is Christmas and New Year and very expensive.

Barcelona is rich in what you want and is on the coast.

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to find warm weather vacation spots in December?

If you want to go to Spain you can have sun and warm weather in Canary Islands. Lanzarote is my favourite one but it may be even warmer in Tenerife. Plenty of things to see as well

Merced, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to find warm weather vacation spots in December?

Costa Rica! Beautiful weather in December with so much to see and do. Plus you can learn a little Spanish!!

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to find warm weather vacation spots in December?

Costa Rica or Panama would be good. Both are rich in culture and warm in December.

You could also look at Colombia - possibly Cartegena. Cartegena has a beautiful historical architecture.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,759 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to find warm weather vacation spots in December?

I would second Costa Rica, I think that the tickets are less than that. Country rich in history, great beaches, wonderful food, and warm...and volcanos!!

Edited: 25 April 2014, 05:17
10. Re: Where to find warm weather vacation spots in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:15