We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach vacation...need recs please...maybe Mexico?

Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Beach vacation...need recs please...maybe Mexico?

My husband and I are looking to take a short trip... probably 3 or 4 nights in the middle of May without kids. We want to keep it a short plane ride from Houston..2-3 hours so I guess Mexico may be the best bet. We definitely don't want to stay in Texas. I've been looking around the internet and there is just too much to choose from on either side of Mexico.

We are leaning towards an all inclusive but open to suggestions. I think we are more wanting to stay and lounge around a nice resort rather than visit ruins or "sight see", but a day trip is not out of the question. And we'd like to keep the budget for airfare and hotel to $2000-2500.

Thanks in advance for all input and suggestions.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach vacation...need recs please...maybe Mexico?

I can't really speak to the western Mexico destinations, since I haven't been there, but I think that flying into Cancun would be a good option for your trip. You should be able to fly nonstop from Houston to Cancun. If you don't want to stay in Cancun itself, there are lots of other places with 30 minutes to a couple of hours away by ground.. .All inclusive (AL) or non-AI are both prevalent in many places. Whether you choose AI or not depends on personal preferences and where you stay. In any of the cities/towns (Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Isla Mujeres (a small island off Cancun, Akumel, Tulum), there are many dining options within walking distance, so AI resorts are not necessary, but in some areas of the Riviera Maya further away from towns (e.g., Playa Parasaoi, Maroma Beach), it might be better to go with an all inclusive, since there may not be much there besides the resorts. In terms of specific options, you might want to spend some time on the destination specific forums figuring out which places work best for you and/or provide more information about 1) whether you want to be in Cancun or another town/city or want to be at beach further away from cities/towns, 2) any specific preferences for resorts/hotels (size, adults only, any special features, etc.).

If you want to go somewhere other than Mexico, with your travel time limitations, you should look for locations in the Caribbean that you can reach non-stop. If there are non-stop flights to Jamaica or the Dominican Republic (more likely since they are more popular islands), these would probably be good options for AI resorts.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,239 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach vacation...need recs please...maybe Mexico?

I agree with the above - our favorite island get away is Isla Mujeres, but there are many, many places to stay along the Riviera Maya. All depends on your budget and what you are interested in - the water and the beaches are stunning, I will say that and it should be a short flight for you and the Yucatan region is one of the safest travel destinations in Mexico.

Do check out this site - they sell maps that are like the best detailed guidebook for these areas listed - it may help you choose your specific area/destination. http://www.cancunmap.com/ Happy planning! :)

Edited: 29 April 2014, 16:56
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,584 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach vacation...need recs please...maybe Mexico?

I recommend you also look at both Puerto Vallarta/Nuevo Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas/San Jose Del Cabo too...

I've found the Puerto Vallarta area to have more of an authentic Mexican feel, and flavourful regional cuisine...

Cabo is also another wonderful spot to visit in Mexico, and is very close to San Jose, making for an interesting 2 centre holiday.............

By clicking on any of the blue links in this post, you will transfer to the TA travel page for the area...you can browse through hotel/restaurant/attraction listings, view photos of the region and access the local forums for advice from the areas Destination Experts too..............

Edited: 02 May 2014, 23:25
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,265 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach vacation...need recs please...maybe Mexico?

Living in Houston, I'm a fan of Cancun - there are a variety of resorts available for a wide range of budgets. But, since you mention mid-May, I think you need to start price searching ASAP. Click open http:matrix.itasoftware.com and do a an airfare search, try kayak, orbitz, travelocity - too - and look for resort options in your price range. Then look up the reviews on the Cancun (or area) board. If I were you, I'd want to book this in the next few days.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,548 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach vacation...need recs please...maybe Mexico?

If you don't plan on doing anything but staying within the confines of the resort, then Cancun would work great for you. Very little time spent going to and from the airport, as compared to the rest of that coast.

If you would like somewhere very easy to explore a little with such a short trip, then I think Isla Mujeres would be perfect because it's a very small island. You would have to arrange transport from the airport to the ferry dock. Take the ferry over (20 min. I think) and either take a cab to your accommodations or walk and a bicycle cab will ride along side of you carrying your luggage.

On Isla Mujeres you can rent a golf cart and tour the island with places to stop for the morning or an afternoon. The rest of the time you can stay somewhere on the north end of the island where restaurants and shops are within walking distance. The beach on the north end of the island is one of the best in Mexico.

I really like the idea of Isla Mujeres because I think you would feel like you saw and did something new, yet not stressful to do or too large of a place to get a feel for.

6. Re: Beach vacation...need recs please...maybe Mexico?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions