We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother/Daughter beach vacation suggestions

Council Bluffs, Iowa
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mother/Daughter beach vacation suggestions

My daughter is graduating high school. For her gift I offered a trip for the two of us. She would like to go anywhere that has blue water and fabulous beaches. The hook, due to her summer work obligations, we can't travel until after July 24th. Looking for suggestions on what would be a safe destination for two women to travel to alone.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,190 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother/Daughter beach vacation suggestions

What kind of things to you want to do? How far do you want to travel and how long do you have? Is there a budget of any sort? What are your interests? You'll have your best success if you both go in and see a local expert (a travel agent) who can hear what you are both saying and then match you to the perfect location. If you are a member of anything like AAA then you may be able to gain member benefits and/or perks booking there. Have fun.

Council Bluffs, Iowa
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother/Daughter beach vacation suggestions

Not particular on how far we travel. Would like to keep within a $3,000 budget. We have 7 days. The only true interest we have is lounging at the beach, in a hammock with cold drink in hand. :) We are from the Midwest and have never travelled anywhere, so we are clueless and looking for suggestions.

Edited: 25 May 2014, 19:33
Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother/Daughter beach vacation suggestions

I would look at Aruba. There should be good deals available that time of year. Check the prices on www.cheapcaribbean.com as well as other travel discounters.

I would also suggest looking at St. Thomas. Secret Harbour resort is my choice there. The beach is very nice, and its a nice, relaxing place. You could also look at the Marriott since they tend to run specials in the summer.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,471 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother/Daughter beach vacation suggestions

"We are from the Midwest and have never travelled anywhere" that makes me wonder - do you have passports?........if not, then just stay in the U.S................beach choices could be California, Florida, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands............

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother/Daughter beach vacation suggestions

If you have passports, I would also throw Turks & Caicos into the mix of possibilities. The island of Providenciales has probably the best beach in the Caribbean and it is very good for just relaxing. Main downside is that you may have a problem with that budget, even in the off season.

As mentioned previously, Aruba is also a god possibility; beaches are not as nice as Provo and more crowded, but still nice, less expensive, and free of hurricanes.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,190 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother/Daughter beach vacation suggestions

From Iowa I would definately suggest that you start your search with where you can fly that is not such a high airfare that it goobles too much of your budget. We are in Chicago so you would expect easy access everywhere. Actually we took a trip like you propose and finally settled on Riviera Maya (Cancun area) because our travel agent booked us onto the non-stop Apple Vacations flight and we were on the beach by noon the day we left. Scheduled air would have taken us all day and cost more.

This is the kind of insight and travel solutions that you can get from an expert.

If you are not leaving the US then August is a lovely time to be on Cape Cod. You can see my bias from my screen name but, truly there are a great variety of beaches there (one that is on the top 10 in the US list from Dr. Beach every year), unique sights and one of a kind shopping plus dining for every budget and fun activities from which to choose. We fly non-stop on JetBlue to Boston then get a car rental but you can fly other carriers and into Providence, RI which is the same distance to the Cape.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mother/Daughter beach vacation suggestions

Assuming your budget needs to include airfare and hotel, I would suggest that you start checking out a few places recommended that interest you, since airfare can vary significantly. If you have flexibility with your dates, that will help. This website is good for month long searches: www.itasoftware.com. A lot of beach destinations get much less expensive after summer breaks end, if that is an option for you.

If you don't have passports, that is another cost for travel to the Caribbean v US. I believe first time passports are around $150 per person.

As mentioned in other responses, hurricanes and tropical storms should be a consideration. The Atlantic season runs from June 1 - November 30. While the chances of your trip being impacted by a hurricane is small, Aruba and other destinations in the southern Caribbean are less susceptible to hurricanes.

I'm female and have traveled extensively to beach destinations alone or with my sister without any issues, so I think that there are many places that will be safe for you and your daughter. Considering that you have not traveled much, you may feel most comfortable either in the US or a Caribbean island that is more developed and English speaking. I would agree with the suggestion of Aruba and also add Grand Cayman to the mix. I also think Turks & Caicos is a possibility, if you are looking for a quieter island without US chain restaurants and hotels.

It is hard to provide suggestions for places in the US, because there are options all along the east and west coasts during the summer. US beaches are going to be crowded in the summer, and except maybe some exceptions in Florida, prices are going to be high since summer is peak season. Along the east coast and Gulf of Mexico, it is hurricane season, and some people don't like the heat and high humidity along the central to southeast US beaches. Places that don't get extremely hot and humid in the summer include San Diego, CA and Hawaii, although flight costs to HI may put it outside your budget,

How do you feel about cruises and/or all-inclusive resorts? Both may be options to enable you to travel to some countries where you may not feel comfortable traveling independently. For all-inclusive resorts, I think the Riviera Maya in Mexico offers a great variety of resorts and good value. A Caribbean cruise would provide the opportunity to visit several places on one trip.

Edited: 26 May 2014, 18:32
Council Bluffs, Iowa
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mother/Daughter beach vacation suggestions

Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions! Our passports are already enroute, thanks to a friend mentioning that when we started considering travel! We for sure want to get out of the states. When I say we haven't travelled, I was referring to outside the 48.

Cape Cod Charlie, I would LOVE to check out Cape Cod, but my daughter wants to head to an island. I went to your suggested website and found an option to fly out of Chicago (we have family there, so it works good) to Jamaica for 5 nights all inclusive for $800ish. I called and got my dates and now just waiting for daughter to confirm with her work. THANK YOU SO MUCH for the tips!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,864 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mother/Daughter beach vacation suggestions

I wouldn't hesitate to visit the Mayan Riviera as suggested either - amazing water, safe destination, easy on the budget and during the summer, you can snorkel with whale sharks!! :)

10. Re: Mother/Daughter beach vacation suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 12:14