We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family beach vacation recommendations for December

Albany, New York
2 posts
Save Topic
Family beach vacation recommendations for December

I want to take my husband on a family beach vacation before he begins rotations for PA school in January. We are thinking mid December or over Christmas. Budget is no more than $5k with airfare, and would prefer to be a little less. We have an eight year old and a three year old. We all love the water, but aren't super adventurous. My husband likes to golf as well. And we like good food- not gourmet, just trying fun local things. We will be flying from either Albany, NY or Boston, MA. Thinking 6-8 days. Any suggestions? I've never been outside the US. Thank you in advance.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,480 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family beach vacation recommendations for December

I recomme d the Riviera Maya or Cancun area..many family friendly resorts and warm beaches...please note the Christmas/New Year period is one of the most expensive , if not THE most expensive time of the year to travel to a beach resort

Albany, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family beach vacation recommendations for December

Thank you. We are thinking 12/13-12/20.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,480 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family beach vacation recommendations for December

The pricing will be much lower for December 12th........good luck,hope you find the ideal spot !

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family beach vacation recommendations for December

Aruba is a good choice for golf and beach and good food. I would look at the vacation packages offered by JetBlue. You can even sort by golf vacations.

Here's the link to the Aruba vacation packages.

www.jetblue.com/vacations/aruba-vacations/…

NH
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family beach vacation recommendations for December

If you are planning a tropical destination, chances are you will need passports. Would this be part of your budget, also? If you need to get passports, do not get caught short on time, apply for them now.

IMO a 6-8 day vacation budget of 5K including airfare for a family of 4 sounds tight. Your least expensive option will probably be Mexico.

If you choose to go to a Caribbean island, food is expensive. Depending on the island, food prices will be 2-3 times more than what you would find in the states.

A place often overlooked is the Florida Keys. Lots to do and see in the central keys and it would save the cost of passports and a very safe environment for the less adventurous. The biggest downside would be that the water temperature will be cooler than at a more southerly vacation destination.

Belvidere, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family beach vacation recommendations for December

5K is going to be tight, but if you go the week of 12/12-20 you should be able to do it. Check with your local travel agent and see if you can get a package. I priced out a 7 day package at an all-inclusive resort in the Riviera Maya and there were several available for about $4400 for the 4 of you. That price included air, accommodations, transfers, all food and drinks, entertainment, non motorized water sports, taxes and fees. I checked with Apple Vacations.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family beach vacation recommendations for December

St John is a quick flight from NY but you need to start looking for lodging asap regardless of which destinations you select and on islands I'd be renting my vehicles NOW you can always cancel them!!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,618 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family beach vacation recommendations for December

No golf on St. John, although there is on St. Thomas. Of the places mentioned already, I'd look at Cancun or Riviera Maya, based on selection. Keep in mind, some years the Cancun area can be "cool" in December. Aruba would be warmer, but not nearly as built up, and less overall competition and flights.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family beach vacation recommendations for December

Sorry I missed the golf thing.... and yes my husband has to ferry to STT to golf...

NY
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family beach vacation recommendations for December

Check out the Hilton rose hall in montego bay. Right on ocean and a golf course. Water park for kids and 12 and I under are free. Very close to airport so short transfer and no drinking water concerns which is always nice with kids.

Get answers to your questions