We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Vacation at Christmastime for Couple

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
Save Topic
Beach Vacation at Christmastime for Couple

Hi, everyone.

My husband and I (in our 40s) want to plan a beach-y vacation over the Christmas holiday. After doing minimal research, it looks like the Caribbean and Mexico really gouge you on price - doubling for the week!

While we might seek out something like Excellence Resort in Dominican Republic or something similar in Puerto Vallarta and move it all a week backward or forward, we'd like a good deal on a beach vacation somewhere that week. We are not at all married to the resort idea (typically B&B style travelers), but we do want to seriously relax and minimize our contact with children.

So the question is, where in the world can a couple for a relaxing yet hiking / swimming / snorkeling / diving / drinking / reading / eating great food type of vacation and spend around $3,000 (room only) where the prices aren't seriously jacked for the week? Is it a pipe dream?

Thanks for the help.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Vacation at Christmastime for Couple

Most places I know of that are popular for vacation are expensive for the Christmas holidays simply because it is a good winter break for people from winter climates AND kids are out of school . . . Mexico is a smoking deal compared to Hawaii for the same time frame . . . so if you can go a week or so early, you will see a big price difference almost anywhere . . .

Depending on where you want to go, it doesn't have to be that expensive. We have vacationed during those holiday times for far less . . . our favorite spot is on Isla Mujeres. But almost anywhere, the most affordable places book up early. I know people that go to Hawaii every year for Christmas and book a year in advance. :)

Edited: 09 June 2014, 23:05
NH
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Vacation at Christmastime for Couple

Is there a reason you must travel over the Christmas holiday? As stated if you can move your dates you will find much better prices. ...The first weeks in December and in January typically have less demand.

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Vacation at Christmastime for Couple

My husband has the week between Xmas and New Year's off. The industry closes its doors for the week.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,367 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Vacation at Christmastime for Couple

As previously mentioned, if you can travel at another time..I think you say a week before or after, then you will see a big price differential.....like your husband, others too have time off Christmas week, so that's one big reason for the price hike...most resorts also put on special meals, or themed dinners/parties for Christmas Day and New Year's Eve, so thats another excuse for the price hikes...........in my experience, travel in early December, before Christmas has great pricing...after Christmas, say 1st week or so of January when kids are back in school/or just going back to school the prices drop again, although not as cheap as early December...then near the end of January the prices begin to increase steadily......there's a Valentine's Day price jump too, and then March Break pricing is very high....

Edited: 10 June 2014, 15:35
NH
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Vacation at Christmastime for Couple

Well... I don't know if you are interested but some of the less "touristy" areas might be worth researching. Last Christmas my daughter, like you, was boxed into a specific vacation dates. She booked a trip to an eco lodge in Nicaragua. She flew on Christmas day and returned on New Years day. Her vacation package was much more reasonable than if she went to other more popular destinations. ...Just an idea worth offering.

You could also look at Puerto Rico as a possibility.

If you choose to do something like this, book soon. Lock in your prices before the end of July. Even the less popular destinations do increase prices the closer you get to your travel time.

NH
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Vacation at Christmastime for Couple

Well... I don't know if you are interested but some of the less "touristy" areas might be worth researching. Last Christmas my daughter, like you, was boxed into specific vacation dates. She booked a trip to an eco lodge in Nicaragua. She flew on Christmas day and returned on New Years day. Her vacation package was much more reasonable than if she went to other more popular destinations. ...Just an idea worth offering.

You could also look at Puerto Rico as a possibility.

If you choose to do something like this, book soon. Lock in your prices before the end of July. Even the less popular destinations do increase prices the closer you get to your travel time.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 16:56
Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Vacation at Christmastime for Couple

Goa, it's a truly amazing place, we went last Xmas and new year, all you want to do you can, depending on where you go North is busy South is quiet, we stayed in the south, and its just wonderfull, loved it cant wait to get back , have a little read on the forum !

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g297604-i6045-Go…

8. Re: Beach Vacation at Christmastime for Couple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 05:16