We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caribbean or Central America beach vaca with 4&6 yr. olds

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
70 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Caribbean or Central America beach vaca with 4&6 yr. olds

We have taken the kids to Turks & Caicos as well as Grand Cayman and loved both but are always looking for new adventures. Want a great beach, culture and a few things to do without being too touristy. No all inclusives as we like to cook our own meals.

Would Belize, Honduras or Costa Rica be appropriate for kids that young? I've been to Belize and CR many years ago and wasn't thinking about kids at that time.

Thanks for your feedback!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caribbean or Central America beach vaca with 4&6 yr. olds

I haven't been to Belize, Honduras, or Costa Rica, but if you are looking for something similar to Turks & Caicos and Grand Cayman, you might want to consider Aruba. There are two main beach areas, Palm Beach and Eagle Beach. The latter is the quieter "lowrise" area and may fit your preference for less touristy places a little better. There are some accommodation options with kitchens/kitchenettes too. Aruba is considered very family friendly.

I also don't have or travel with kids, but my sense is that many of "adventure" activities people like to do in some of the Central American countries (the rainforest areas especially), may not be well suited for young children.

Relative transportation ease also may be a factor for you with young children. It has been awhile since I looked at flights to beaches in Belize and/or Honduras, but my recollection is that it was more difficult than places like T&C, Grand Cayman, or Aruba which generally are one stop trips for me through a United States hub from the DC area, with easy, short ground transportation to the beach from the airport on each island.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caribbean or Central America beach vaca with 4&6 yr. olds

We've been to both Costa Rica and Belize. Haven't been to Honduras but I think it is similar to Belize. We took our family to Costa Rica and had a blast, but our kids were about 30 and one was married. Honestly, I think your kids are about 3 or maybe 4 years too young to really enjoy/appreciate either destination. Costa Rica is about activities like zip-lines, volcanoes, touring natural parks, kayaking, etc. Belize is about snorkeling, touring Mayan ruins, etc. I suspect your kids would love it in about 3 or 4 years.

Aruba would be a reasonable, although "milder" alternative. If you go, your kids would probably enjoy the "Jolly Pirates" snorkel trip.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,567 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caribbean or Central America beach vaca with 4&6 yr. olds

You could consider St Lucia. Beaches, activities and culteral things to do around the island, and many things that are appropriate for young kids. Plantation tours, botanical gardens, volcano, swimming, aerial tram through rainforest, ruins, and so on. Lots of great villas, or resorts w/full kitchen suites. May be a good fit....good luck, sometimes it can be a bit tough w/youngster at that age, but you'll find plenty to do in St Lucia, or some other islands too.

4. Re: Caribbean or Central America beach vaca with 4&6 yr. olds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions