We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Vallarta or Florida

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Vallarta or Florida

What's your vote? It will be just my husband and myself. I already have the PV trip booked but Delta cancelled the outbound flight so I have the option to cancel the whole trip and get full refund. I'm now considering just staying in the states and going to Florida Ft. Meyers or St. Pete area. This vacation will be over Thanksgiving. Which would you do?

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Vallarta or Florida

Normally I like the Florida west coast area, partly because I grew up there.... but... by Thanksgiving the weather will be turning a bit cool, at least for us natives. Someone from Iowa might think it warm, but most people will not be inclined to go in the water very much. I suspect Puerto Vallarta will be somewhat warmer and more comfortable for beach walking and such activities.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,369 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Vallarta or Florida

I'd also pick Puerto Vallarta over Florida, and AmateurGO is correct...the weather will be getting cooler in Florida end of November too.............

NH
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Vallarta or Florida

Or...keep heading south and drive the Florida Keys.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Vallarta or Florida

I could go for the keys... Key West especially is almost like going to a foreign country, without going to a foreign country. The beaches are not as nice as the Fla west coast, but plenty of thing s to do.

NH
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Vallarta or Florida

I've definitely had the yearning to go back to the Keys. ...A very cool and interesting "adventure" to explore. ...And fabulous food!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,852 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Vallarta or Florida

i would go to PV and go north to Salulita..sleepier town and great beaches, where PV's beaches are not as nice..

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,168 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Vallarta or Florida

Puerto Vallarta will be the warmest. If a little cooler is alright, I love Sanibel and Captiva islands. Piece of cake to get to from Fort Meyers. You can pick up seashells, it's quieter, but plenty of places to stay. And Naples might be nice.

I also like Key West and it will be warmer than the other Florida spots. A few facts though.... Key West is expensive especially at holidays. Driving through the keys can be bumper to bumper over a holiday. Flying in is expensive too. The closer to town you are, the more expensive the accommodations get, and there aren't a lot of beaches in Key West though. You're there mainly for the town.

Actually everywhere is more expensive for flying over Thanksgiving LOL.

For Thanksgiving I would choose a package to PV, or Sanibel island, because St. Pete might not be too bad for airfare.

Edited: 03 July 2014, 16:02
8. Re: Puerto Vallarta or Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 06:16