We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August solo beach and writing holiday help

London, United...
5 posts
August solo beach and writing holiday help

I’m trying to plan a holiday for August and looking for some help.

Briefly, I’m hoping for the following

-In short, a sunny place where I can swim in the sea in the mornings, explore on foot in the afternoons and write in the evenings for the whole month of August.

-I don’t drive but I’d like to explore more than just one place, so easy bus rides/ boat rides to other places would be helpful

-Preferably a place where I can get by comfortably with English. Failing that, I’d feel more comfortable in a place where the main language is Portuguese, Spanish, Italian or French because I have some basic knowledge of these languages.

-I’ll be on my own so I want to feel safe walking around alone.

-A good beach with clean water within walking distance that isn’t too busy

-A town (or somewhere near to towns that I can take trips to) with historic architecture and or natural attractions (e.g. nature trails, caves, volcanoes)

-I don’t mind being in a place with other tourists (I know August is peak season) around but I’d rather it not be so overrun that it feels like England transplanted to a warmer climate

-I’m happy to short term rent a home or stay in an affordable hotel. I don’t want to pay more than £80 per night (preferably £50 max per night) on acomodation

-Wi-fi would be useful

-I’m thinking about staying in one place and using that as a base to travel to other locations (on day trips) but I’d also be happy to stay in multiple places if that’s more realistic (e.g. stay in a place where I can swim for one week, then move somewhere with historic sights, then move somewhere with natural sights)

I've only just started thinking about this and am very open to tips but to give you an idea of what I've been thinking about, I've been looking into places like Malta (but I know Southern Europe can get very busy), Central America (Belize, Mexico, Caribbean, etc, though I know the weather's not it's best), Hawaii (beaches but less architecture) and many other places. Basically, even with a little bit of research and common sense, I know that I'll have to compromise, especially since it's a last minute trip

Thanks in advance

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
87 reviews
1. Re: August solo beach and writing holiday help

You may want to consider a Greek Island like Naxos which is very popular, with good tourism infrustructure but does not accept charter flights or cruise ships and has many laid back spots.Its traditional interior with interesting mountain villages, Venetian watchtowers, Byzantine churches and ancient ruins is very interesting and other than beaches, boat trips and watersports there are tons of hiking opportunities and other activities. It is a large island and can keep you certainly busy in comparison with other tiny dry touristed islands where beach is the only thing to do. Check Naxos on TA if you are not aware of it, it might give you some inspiration.

Maybe on August avoid busy Naxos town and head somewhere like Plaka beach which has decent accommodation options, a few taverns and mini markets around and will not be extremely crowded. There is frequent bus connection to town which is no more than 20 minutes drive away. If you want more seclusion and you can trade some convenience (not so good public transport and less facilities around), there are many settlements further away by gorgeous sandy beaches such as Pyrgaki, Alyko etc.

Here is a popular place on a somehow isolated location to check, and seems within your budget too:

http://www.faros-studios-naxos.gr/

Whatever you decide, Enjoy!

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: August solo beach and writing holiday help

See my reply on Malta forum

Graham

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,299 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: August solo beach and writing holiday help

Dita................I suggest you post your question on the Solo Travel forum here on TA as well, for some good advice from seasoned solo travellers...........the Solo Travel forum is located in the "Beyond Destinations" section, to the mid right side of this screen............good luck and happy travels!

London, United...
5 posts
4. Re: August solo beach and writing holiday help

Hi Eden,

I've posted on the Solo forum, thanks for pointing me in that direction

Best Wishes

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,265 posts
44 reviews
5. Re: August solo beach and writing holiday help

Well, in most of Hawaii would need a car - only Oahu has good public transportation - and it is the busiest island.

If I were solo, I would consider a place like Isla Mujeres, Mexico - a short ferry ride from Cancun and VERY affordable - basic hotels from $25 US to places for much, much more. Low season, so many places are about 1/2 off. Great food and amazing beaches. You can also do day trips to some the ancient Mayan history - pyramids, cenotes, etc.

Haven't been to Belize, but that would also be laid back, though not as affordable as Mexico is. Good luck! :)

6. Re: August solo beach and writing holiday help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 05:15