We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking.com asking for a bank transfer

Silicon Valley, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Booking.com asking for a bank transfer

I made a reservation through Tripadvisor, which routed it to booking.com for a hotel in Madrid Spain several months ago. I reserved it but did not pay at the time. Two weeks before we are due to arrive, I got an email from booking.com asking me to initiate a chat for important information regarding my stay. The chat operator says:

"Looks like the card issuing bank is declining the transaction for unspecified reasons. The response doesn't necessarily indicate that there is a problem with the card; however, it does indicate that the bank won't approve this transaction. In order to secure your reservation i will have to send you a new invoice with a new payment details."

I got the invoice in my email. It says:

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused and looking forward to doing business with you in the future.

Please don't try to pay using your credit card again , just go to your bank and send a wire transfer to our account below , also you can do it from home if you have access to internet banking :

Account Name: Abraham Pablo Quiroz Lara

Bank Name: Banamex

Account Number : 8410463

IBAN: 002691701284104632

Swift/BIC: BNMXMXMM

Address: 7441 PLAZA HOLLYWOOD CANCUN QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO

Transfer money to a bank account in Mexico? You've got to be kidding me. My first thought is to cancel my reservation and never use booking.com again. Anyone seen this before?

26 replies to this topic
Solihull, United...
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
755 posts
74 reviews
1. Re: Booking.com asking for a bank transfer

I doubt a company the size of booking.com are looking to scam you in this manner.

This is probably something or someone else, but a scam no less.

Edited: 05 October 2017, 18:27
Italy
Level Contributor
8,907 posts
2. Re: Booking.com asking for a bank transfer

Chat? How did you do that?

Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,434 posts
154 reviews
3. Re: Booking.com asking for a bank transfer

As you will read so many times on this forum...it is not Booking but the hotels (or is it in this case?) that make these requests. A 'bank' in Mexico for an hotel in Madrid? Common sense says something odd - try phonong or emailing the hotel.

Silicon Valley, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Booking.com asking for a bank transfer

I got an email from booking.com (the real one) later warning me about recent occurrences of scams. The url for the chat page was one of those tiny url's so not immediately obvious that it was bogus. It did put me in contact with someone who told me the account was perfectly safe. Have to remind myself never to click on links in emails again.

The scary thing is they had my confirmation number, the dates, and the name of the hotel which led me to think it was legit. email is from xxxxxxxx@property.booking.com. Even if this was not sent by booking.com, I no longer trust them as I see that they cannot be trusted with my data. I have cancelled my reservation.

Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Booking.com asking for a bank transfer

These things very often originate at hotels. Well-designed systems don't give credit card data access to many people, but booking data has to be available to many people. I think it's significant that it was attempted by someone who could see only reservations and not payment details. It's quite possible that, at a hotel, any employee who can get to a terminal can check reservations. And it's likely not sent by someone on the hotel staff. Low level staff regularly steal and sell information to brokers.This can, of course, happen with any site or when you book direct. The message from booking.com may merely reflect them learning that there is a large operation afoot targeting hotel reservations, actively buying the data. Or it could reflect an ongoing problem that arose within that hotel. Doesn't matter much. It's data that lots of people can access.

That email address is a classic form. I get loads of stuff from something.mybankname.com and email.amazon.com or response.ebay.com . And if someone tells me my card issuer is rejecting a transaction, I'm not going to discuss this with the merchant. My first stop of the card bank. Besides, my alerts tell me whenever they reject a transaction.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,249 posts
52 reviews
6. Re: Booking.com asking for a bank transfer

>>> The scary thing is they had my confirmation number, the dates, and the name of the hotel which led me to think it was legit. email is from xxxxxxxx@property.booking.com. Even if this was not sent by booking.com, I no longer trust them as I see that they cannot be trusted with my data. <<<

You are going to have a hard time booking anything with a third party then, because (as pointed out) there is information - but not card details - that needs to be shared with the service provider, of necessity. Unfortunately you will get the odd rogue corrupt employee who may try and take advantage of this information - most probably without the service provider's knowledge.

You seem to be determined to pin the blame on booking.com, although you should be directing your ire at the hotel.

You keep your money safe by:

1) never, ever, ever agreeing to a bank transfer unless it's someone you know and absolutely trust (an online booking agency and a hotel you have never been to do NOT fall into that category).

2) if someone tells you your card transaction has not gone through, thank them politely, tell them you will get straight on to the card issuer (of course you do not tell them who it is!) and hang up.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,760 posts
476 reviews
7. Re: Booking.com asking for a bank transfer

You are right to be very wary of this communication. My guess is that either the hotel systems or your own PC have been hacked, and that this has absolutely nothing to do with Booking.com.

Traipadvisor's name has also been used by criminals to defraud victims.

Cheshire
2 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Booking.com asking for a bank transfer

I had exactly the same email but a different name on the bank account and the booking was for a different hotel. I called booking.com and the first two advisors seemed to think it was fine for me to transfer the money and said it was the hotel who had emailed me and they had made a mistake sending the wrong email and were not helpful at all and left me on hold. I called my credit card company who confirmed the hotel had been paid for at the time of booking. I called booking.com again for the third time and the advisor Ian this time was really helpful and confirmed the booking was fine and wanted me to send him copies of the emails. I have decided not to use booking.com again after this because they did not take me seriously at first and weren't interested when I was clearly very concerned that someone had my details and that this booking was a present for my daughters 21st Birthday.

Edited: 17 October 2017, 22:59
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,157 posts
66 reviews
9. Re: Booking.com asking for a bank transfer

Someone has your details....

That’s like saying I won’t trust Booking.com because the hotel has my details.

How do you book a hotel without your details? That’s what they do - transfer data. Read Wirewipers response in post #6

Edited: 17 October 2017, 23:14
Cheshire
2 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Booking.com asking for a bank transfer

I was more concerned that when I spoke to booking.com who I booked through they suggested that I should transfer the money as this was something the hotels often request even when I said it was a dodgy bank account and when I asked them to confirm if the email address was correct they said it was when it clearly wasn't and when I queried that one of the emails was for a different hotel they said that staff do make mistakes so no I will not book with booking.com because of the disgraceful customer service I received.

Reply to: Booking.com asking for a bank transfer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted