We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservation-through-website risks?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Reservation-through-website risks?

I will visit New York in June. I chose a hotel which had glowing reviews from many TripAdvisor members. I reserved my room through the Booking.com website which advertises on TripAdvisor a Smart Deal with more than 50% off the official price of the hotel's website, and also much lower than Hotels.com, Expedia and other websites, for the same hotel.

My question is:

To your experience, is such difference in price between travel websites something normal? Will the reservation be accepted and honored by the hotel, or do I risk to arrive in NY in June and find out that I don't have a room, or that the price is not what I was promised by Booking.com?

It is the first time that I book a room through them, and I am a little skeptical about such a big difference in price. I didn't prepay anything, so Booking.com didn't really gain anything by promising me a room at this price, but on the other hand, they only have their commission to lose if my reservation is proved nonexistent in June.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

n-b canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservation-through-website risks?

I would call the hotel directly to make sure they have your reservation. It is always a risk when you booked online. If the hotel has your reservation then the price you pay should be honored.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservation-through-website risks?

Take a print out that shows the price you have booked at [print out everything- ideally 2 copies of everything you have had from the site]

I've only once had a hotel say they aren't honouring a booking and that was very soon after [couple of days] making the booking. i was annoyed at the time but I ended up staying in a better hotel even cheaper!

I have had several cheap deals where the reception staff have been amazed at what a good deal I've had but ether has never been any problem when i'm there and had a print out to prove the price.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservation-through-website risks?

I emailed the reservations desk of the hotel asking to confirm the reservation. I included a copy of the booking confirmation from the travel website, with price and everything. The reservations manager answered and confirmed my reservation. I will certainly print everything out and have it with me in June! I don't expect any problem after that.

Thanks for your help!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reservation-through-website risks?

I used Booking.com last year to book a hotel in Athens. Painless, pleasant and efficient experience. I did the exact thing you did and emailed the hotel afterwards confirming my reservation, then printed out my confirmation from Booking.

They were quite a bit cheaper than booking directly through the hotel itself. I would definitely use them again.

Have a great trip.

May

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reservation-through-website risks?

My guess as to why it is priced so much less is they are using a pay-what-the-market-will-bear policy on some of their rooms. They must not expect to be fully booked, so are taking reservations for less. This is how Priceline works, for example, where one really can get hotel rooms for half of the stated price.

If you are curious what other people have bid on rooms on Priceline for NYC during that time period, check biddingfortravel.com or betterbidding.com.

I recently used Priceline and got the rooms I needed for far less than the rack rate. I always call to confirm, and to request two beds. In this case, the hotel had overbooked and asked me if I would mind trading to another of their hotels. If your hotel asks you to trade because they have sold more high priced rooms, make sure you know the hotel they are trading. I did the trade as I knew it was equivalent and in the same area. I got the two-bed rooms I needed, too.

6. Re: Reservation-through-website risks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 05:24