We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

qatar airways the worst experience ever

Bangkok, Thaïlande
Level Contributor
2 posts
292 reviews
Save Topic
qatar airways the worst experience ever

First ,the travel agent said Qatar airways was a good airline company and of course I had to believe it .

My complain is not for the flight itself but for the very narrow minded people they employ at Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok, my friend checked in for a flight to Buenos aires via Doha and Paris ( 2 different airline tickets as one is so expensive) They allow him to travel with 25kg of luggages + 7 kgs in Cabin ,beside the fact that this is the regulation ,he had some over weight because the Transatlantic flight allow you with 2 bags of 22kg each . Qatar flight to Doha was not even full , can you imagine the humiliation my friend had to open the case empty it etc ...Asking nicely if some exception could be done etc ... In 20 years travelling ,all airlines I took are trying their best to please customers ,well Qatar airways dont give a damn about it , specially their Supervisor at the check in counter Mr Suskda Klomsinth who happened to be like a wall I understand about regulation , but people should understand going on a 50 hours travelling can be stressful. Anyway QATAR AIRWAYS is a TERRIBLE company with stubborn and stupid workers and of course I will NEVER fly with them , their should be ashame , of course one voice can be nothing to them but I said what I had to said.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
430 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: qatar airways the worst experience ever

An airline that sticks to its regulations ..... how humiliating!

Edmonton, AB. canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: qatar airways the worst experience ever

Yes it can be frustrating to say the least. I have found you are better to travel if possible on one airline or someone in that Alliance. I travelled from Canada to Bangkok with two suitcases checked.

Then I travelled to Melbourne Aust. from Bangkok where the allowance is much smaller but I had no problems going. Two months later I am leaving Melbourne going back to Bangkok and I am told I am way over weight and will have to pay before I get any bording passes. They wanted 750-00 Aust and I was sent to some man who would take my money. When I got there rather flustered to say the least he was busy with someone else and I waited. I told him I had a problem, I was on the return part of a trip to Canada which allowed me X amount of luggage but I was stopping over in Bangkok before returning to Canada. He asked to look at my tickets and rang his boss and explained the situation who said I should have bought all my tickets with the same partners and I would not have got this problem and he scribbled a note and sent me back to get my boarding pass. I made it back to Canada with out paying.

Many Asian airlines have only half the allowance so it pays to check things out more thoroughly.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: qatar airways the worst experience ever

I have flown 4 times with Qatar to Bangkok and found them great and the staff very nice.

Czech Rep.
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: qatar airways the worst experience ever

I'm surprised to hear that, I have never flown with Qatar Airways, but I've always heard that it's a great airlines. Maybe, all the airlines are getting more strict about the luggage allowances.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: qatar airways the worst experience ever

When I'm on holiday I don't want problems or stress to occur if I can avoid it. One way I do this is to ensure that I understand what the rules and regulations are (for things such as suitcase dimensions and weights) and then I follow them. When traveling to destinations that require a change of plane, I always book through on one ticket - that way if there are delays or anything like that I know the airline will eventually get me to where I am going.

I am sorry your friend had these difficulties, but perhaps next time he could ensure he understands the rules and regulations.

ktown

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: qatar airways the worst experience ever

according to skytrax ,Qatar are a 5 star airline ,i have flown them and they are good .airlines are clamping down on overweight luggage and i have had to pay before but its often negotiable .some airlines ,air asia for example wont allow even 1kg over without payment and there allowance is only 15 kg of checked in baggage.

London
Level Contributor
56 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: qatar airways the worst experience ever

i am so surprised because ive travelled with them many times and their service has been perfect. and they are rated very highly!

Ericeira, Portugal
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: qatar airways the worst experience ever

Hi,

This post is a surprise for me. I've already made some trips with Qatar and despite some delays (10/15 minutes) on the Intercontinental flights I have nothing else to point them. For me is one of the bests in the World!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: qatar airways the worst experience ever

I tend to book seperate tickets when travelling to multiple destinations as it's cheaper. I make sure that I check out the luggage allowances for all airlines and sectors and then ensure that I'm under the one the one with the smallest allowance.

The same thing happens when you travel internationally then domestically. International flights usually allow more weight than domestic. It's frustrating, but you just have to do the research.

Level Contributor
3 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: qatar airways the worst experience ever

Having been caught in Bangkok during the volcano problem, I can confirm that Qatar Airways ground handling in Bangkok is a disgrace. Rude, dismissive and completely disorganised. Even given the circumstances, a shrug and the provision of a list of local phone numbers that were disconnected is pretty bad. Ground staff were unaware that the re-arranged flight was re-routed to LHR rather than LGW (on the ticket) and we didn't discover this until the aircraft pushed back!! An excellent airline in the air, BKK ground handling lets them down badly. Our tip is to personally visit the ticket office in the city if you have a problem, when resolution is more likely. The supervisor mentioned is to be avoided at all costs!