We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good agent/website for cheap USA city breaks

UK
Level Contributor
115 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Good agent/website for cheap USA city breaks

Can anyone recommend good agents or websites to book cheap USA city breaks with? I'm in UK.

thanks.

McMinnville, Oregon
Level Contributor
112 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good agent/website for cheap USA city breaks

We use http://www.travelzoo.com/ most of the time. Am not sure what you mean "USA city breaks"

good luck

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good agent/website for cheap USA city breaks

I think the OP is looking for a tour. In the US, Seychelles, we rarely use tours.

We find a good flight, we pick a hotel of our choice, we ask people on Trip Advisor (or our friends and relatives) what to see, and we find cool places to eat while we're there. That's all there is to it.

Your most expensive item will be getting here. Icelandair has been offering some good fares. You can post on the Air travel forum for tips.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good agent/website for cheap USA city breaks

I would tend to book a flight direct with an airline and look around for cheap accomodation. This year I used priceline.co.uk as this US based auction site has now set up virtual shop in the UK. Its not for the faint hearted and you do need to know what area you want to stay in within your city of choice, but there are whole forums dedicated to priceline and other travel auction sites to help you work out the best strategy. We ended up with the Intercontinental Barclay in Midtown East in NYC for 94 pounds a night including taxes in early April this year. At the time I booked, expedia was showing the rate as 209 pounds a night for the same hotel. The only issue with priceline is you don't know where you'll be staying until after your bid is accepted and there is no backing out. That said you can stipulate the star rating, area and price you want to pay. The main thing I learnt was if your bid is rejected and you get an offer from a hotel at a higher rate, reject this and bid again a little higher than your original bid. It worked for us and I'd use priceline again, but you really do need to research exactly which part of a city you want to be in.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good agent/website for cheap USA city breaks

Regarding Priceline, I use it all the time as well. You can check the websites biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com to learn how to work the system.

It has to do with bidding on four-star hotels in the area you want, and adding areas which have no four-star hotels to get a free rebid.

The websites have forums which state what people are paying lately, so you have a good idea for a starting point. They would like you to do a big analysis of the going rate, but I generally just wing it based on what others are paying.

5. Re: Good agent/website for cheap USA city breaks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2010, 04:17