We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lastminute.com - poor advertising and poor response.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
lastminute.com - poor advertising and poor response.

Having finished college, my son is backpacking around Italy. He decided ,at my suggestion, to book into a good quality, city centre hotel in Rome for four nights. ( he had saved some money doing a summer job). I looked at lastminute.com mystery hotels for Rome and went with one that promised four star standards close to city. I booked and then received the name of the hotel. I went to the reviews and found that the hotel in question, Rouge et Noir, is miles from the city, ‘in the sticks’, to quote one review. It is ‘well out of town’, says another.’ The location is not central, ’ goes another. ‘Stay away’, ‘avoid’ etc. Even the more positive reviews mentioned the distance from the city centre. Several reviewers also mentioned mould and allergic reactions to it. I rang the hotel when I saw this problem and was informed that I would have to cancel through lastminute.com. I emailed them and got a reply two days later looking for more info. In the meantime, I rang the lastminute.com helpline. At my first attempt, the office was closed, it being 9pm. The next day I got through to an extremely sympathetic operator who assured me the problem would be addressed urgently. The next day, another operator contacted me to say that indeed the problem would be addressed and they would be in touch. ( I have just received a call from lastminute.com to say there will be no refund). I now have a choice. Do I suggest to my son, who is asthmatic, stay in a mouldy hotel, miles from the city centre and make the most of it or do I tell him cut his losses and look elsewhere? I am surprised that lastminute.com are party to advertising that is at the very least misleading. I would be very reluctant to use the company again, the quality of the support staff notwithstanding. I decided to post this message on each forum that I have used in the past few years so that my TA friends can be aware of the problem.

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lastminute.com - poor advertising and poor response.

I have posted a similar esperience with last minute.com on this forum. I booked a top secret hotel in Barcelona after a telephone operator assured me that the hotel was central. it turned out to be at the airport 8 kilometres away. He told me bare faced lies to get a booking.It would seem that they do not care how they get their bookings no matter how unscrupulously and it is also an insult when they pretend to investigate and it turns out to be a sham. It will never happen to me again.

My mission is to make sure no one else is caught out in the same way as I have been. I will post on as many places as I can

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lastminute.com - poor advertising and poor response.

I posted my experience on the Australian forum but it was removed. People seemed to think that it was more than a coincidence that two similar posts appeared on the same day.

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lastminute.com - poor advertising and poor response.

I also posted on and Australian web site but it was a mistake on my part. Since I had never posted before I found it difficult to get the right forum, however someone replied and directed me to the correct forum and so I posted there too. I would need to check to see if mine has been taken down.

In the meantime I have had a further response from 'lastminute' who now say they are trying to resolve the issue. We shall see. I will certainly post the results

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lastminute.com - poor advertising and poor response.

Good luck with that. I am following my case with lastminute.com to the European Union consumer affairs people. I have spoken informally with a an Irish Member of the European Parliament ( at a funeral, where else in Ireland?) and he is going to investigate it as soon as I send him the info.

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lastminute.com - poor advertising and poor response.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of that.They are supposed to get back to me by Monday and I will let you know what happens if anything. By the way my post on the Australia web site was also taken down.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lastminute.com - poor advertising and poor response.

I have just sent the details to the Irish Times travel magizine to see if they have any advice. I am not going to let this one! go

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lastminute.com - poor advertising and poor response.

I have received another email from last minute promising to investigate and give me a response in 7 working days. I will keep you up to date with the developments and I wish you luck

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lastminute.com - poor advertising and poor response.

Thanks Ginger. I've had no word from lastminute since but I did have an email from TA explaining why my posts were taken down. I has posted them on several forums as lastminute is multinational but apparently multiple postings are regarded as spam. Fair enough, thems' the rules. I have also contacted the EU office for Consumer Protection as this misleading ad for a European hotel cost me, another European, some money.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lastminute.com - poor advertising and poor response.

Had a response from an MEP. His first reaction is that the company have a case to answer and he is going to bring the matter to the attention of the relevant agency in Brussels. There is a new series of consumer programme on telly at the moment and I have sent them details as well.

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lastminute.com - poor advertising and poor response.

That is positive. I wish you well in that. I am still awaiting a reply from them but if it is negative I will also contact the programme and MEP if you care to give me the details. This may add weight as it would indicate that it is not an isolated incident

Get answers to your questions