We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to buy plane tickets for multi-city trip?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to buy plane tickets for multi-city trip?

I am going to Europe (Spain, Italy, Turkey) in August/September & wondering the best way to buy tickets. Is it better to buy an open jaw ticket (i.e. From US to Istanbul, then Madrid back to US) & purchase one-way tix in between (i.e. Istanbul to Rome, Rome to Madrid), or is it better to purchase it all as a full multi-city itinerary?

THanks!!!

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,377 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to buy plane tickets for multi-city trip?

Hi

You will be travelling at peak time, and if you want to use internal flights, should consider registering with the various international, domestic and "no frills" carriers soon, so you can be alerted of any forthcoming sales.

Also suggest you post this to the air travel forum, for more advice.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,824 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to buy plane tickets for multi-city trip?

I think you will have to price it both ways to see which is better.

You need to check the baggage policies of the low cost internal European airlines VERY carefully as that can add a lot to their seemingly low prices!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to buy plane tickets for multi-city trip?

I would think there is unlikely to be one best answer to your question - it would depend on so many variables. The best I could suggest is to do your homework - find out what airlines fly where you want to go, then start putting in dates to get prices. There are also sites such as kayak that will check several airlines, but I never rely on any one site because they don't list all airlines.

One thing I can say though is that I wouldn't buy my tickets now - it's too early. I imagine it's incredibly unlikely you'll find any sales that far ahead of time.

You may also have some luck posting this in the air travel forum here on tripadvisor. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

ktown

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,434 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to buy plane tickets for multi-city trip?

In my own experience in October & November, from Canada to Amsterdam, Amsterdam to Malaga (a few days later), then Madrid back to Canada, I booked Canada-AMS and MAD-Canada with one airline alliance (KLM, with connecting flights in Canada with WestJet), and the hop within Europe with a low-cost carrier. While KLM had flights on the inter-Europe route, they were nowhere near the low price of the LCC.

Just be sure to buy any connecting flights on one ticket - that way if there are any delays with the first flight that cause you to miss your connection, the airline will be responsible to get you there on another flight. If you book two separate tickets, and miss the connection, you are out of luck - and there go any $$$ savings you might have had.

This was the second open-jaw trip we did to Europe - in 2007, we went Canada-Hamburg/Munich-Canada, on BA. In both cases, the cost of the open-jaw ticket was similar or only slightly more than the cost of a return fare, and any small difference is more than offset by the savings in not having to travel back to where you first landed (not to mention the savings in time!)

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,649 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to buy plane tickets for multi-city trip?

check if any transatlantic carriers offer free or reduced flights inside europe. i know asean airlines often do this, as do carriers flying into australia. [you pay for the long haul, and they cut you a deal on internal flights when you get there].

if you could get this kind of deal, usually only sold through travel agents, it could be worth flying u.s./istanbul or u.s./madrid return and taking an extra flight.

pam

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to buy plane tickets for multi-city trip?

Hello drcolorado,

Your best bet is to fly Iberia Airlines as you are flying back from Madrid. You are better off flying Spain's main airline then. A quick search on Iberiia's site showed a fare flying out of Denver was $2000US. Out of NYC it was $1250US. This was with no Istanbul to Rome leg for your itinerary.

You will probably have to make a two stops to get to Istanbul anyway, so going with a ticket out of NYC might be a good idea and find a cheap flight there.

Couldn't find anything on AA. Delta was $3300US roundtrip on multi city itinerary. The problem you might run into might be your Istanbul to Rome flight which is probably going to jack up the price as I beleive only Alitalia flies direct to there.

Iberia does not fly Rome to Istanbul though, so you will have to find a flight in between those two cities.

Look on Iberias website for your exact days.

Good luck and safe travels.

Chris

Edited: 15 December 2010, 09:00
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
771 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to buy plane tickets for multi-city trip?

I love hunting for bargain airfare!! lol. Here's what I found drcolorado:

Flight aggregator: bing.com/travel

Sample:

Flight 1 - Aug 21: DEN>IST 6:20p–4:55p 1 stop | 13h 35m | econ

Flight 2 - Sept 4: MAD>DEN 12:40p–7:34p 1 stop | 14h 54m | econ

Price: $1316 US all in

Ticketed by United (with some code share flights)

Intra-europe:

Sample: Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen - Rome FCO:

Italian Low cost carrier blu-express.com - 1 way, non-stop @ approx 70E (price for March as calendar hasn't been extended yet)

Sample: Rome FCO to Madrid

easyJet.com - 1 way, non-stop @ 31E on Aug 31

Hope this helped and good luck with your planning!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
771 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to buy plane tickets for multi-city trip?

I forgot to add the intra-euro flight aggregator -> skyscanner.net .

For some reason blu-express airline doesn't show up on skyscanner. I found out about this carrier from searching TA forums for an economical way from Istanbul to Rome. I hope to make this trip in 2012.

Edited: 15 December 2010, 22:24
9. Re: Best way to buy plane tickets for multi-city trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2011, 05:39