We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lastminute.com, any reviews ?

Iceland
Level Contributor
734 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
lastminute.com, any reviews ?

Are these sites reliable ?

Thanks.

T C
Elgin, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: lastminute.com, any reviews ?

Please do not use lastminute.com to book a deal room in Paris. I was told we would stay in a 4 star hotel and I think this was a 2 at best. People were checking out when I arrived because the conditions were horrible. We left before checking in. Customer service for the website was horrible!!!!!!!

Villa Royale Montsouris

144 Rue De La Tombe Issoire

Paris

France

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,008 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: lastminute.com, any reviews ?

>>>I was told we would stay in a 4 star hotel and I think this was a 2 at best<<<

Whilst that is a most unfortunate situation, there are several circumstances which are prevalent in this particular case.

1. The rating system in France is determined by HOTREC, which is a culmination between industry associations and various government departments. The problem is that half of Europe do not agree to this system and it is inconsistent with the more common rating houses used around the rest of the world, such as AAA and the Forbes systems.

2. The ratings offered on websites do not necessarily have to reflect those of the official rating houses. They can advertise any ratings they wish - as long as they do not specifiy that it's an official rating. This applies to every online agent and also that of Tripadvisor ratings.

3. To state that they advised a 4 Star, but you felt it was 2 Star "at best" doesn't accurately describe the situation. To determine such specifics, you'd need to point out the differences in criteria, and show the difference.

4. The delivery of the end product - the hotel - is ultimately the responsibility of the hotel, not the agent. The agent can only ascertain certain information and can only do site inspections every so often.

For the above reasons, we would need more specific information, including how you booked, as well as comparative research you did for this property - if this property is advertised as 4 star on other sites, the agent isn't in the wrong. If its advertised as 2 star on other sites, and they sold it to you as 4 star, then you have an issue with the agent.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 06:07
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,008 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: lastminute.com, any reviews ?

Quick follow up.

Just did a quick search through various websites, and the Villa Royale Montsouris is listed as 3.5 Star on majority of the websites including Lastminute.com, Hotels.com, Expedia and Venere. Booking.com are the only ones who list them as 3.0 Star.

This provides a view of reasonable consistency across the board for the rating, but does not determine what transpired in your conversation with Lastminute.com

a a
London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
84. Re: lastminute.com, any reviews ?

They are a Lotto i would say because sometime you get a really good deal and sometime things can go very wrong but one thing for sure is Lastminute.com's staff is very incompetent and they do not want to help simply i have had an experience where the staff lied telling me he has spoken to hotel about changes but i was then and there in the hotel at the reception and when i put him through the problem solved.

Secondly, i booked a 4 star hotel through their site which was 3 star according to hotel but -1 star according to me and it turned out to be a nightmare tiny rooms, smelly ones no cleanliness and when i called customer services they were not available i have spoken to staff and they said just stay there and then we can sort this issue out tomorrow i have emailed them but no reply so far now thinking to call my credit card company to get my money back.

My Lesson

Hotel booking through them is definitely No... they take payment but do not send confirmation which is risk if you are booking at the last minute so its really not what it says on the tin.

a a
London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
85. Re: lastminute.com, any reviews ?

The Hotel website says it 3 star and last minute.com says it 4 star can you justify that?

I have had same issue where AC was not working the hotel was aware of it even then they gave us room and were not willing to change cause we are fully booked...why would u book in first place if there is something wrong...

Edited: 25 July 2013, 11:00
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,008 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: lastminute.com, any reviews ?

>>>The Hotel website says it 3 star and last minute.com says it 4 star can you justify that?<<<

Please refer to the explanations regarding rating on my previous responses. Their website can rate it one million stars if they want to - as long as they don't claim it to be official.

As for size of room, AC, cleanliness, the agent does not run the hotel. The condition of the final product is not the responsibility of the OTA.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: lastminute.com, any reviews ?

I am due to leave on holiday in about 24 hours. Two days ago I got an email from LastMInute.com about a 4* holiday my friend and I paid between £1200-1300 for. Their first email happily chirped that they'd missold us a 3* holiday as a 4* as a result of "not having the correct information". Then they offered us £45 compensation, following that with a further email saying that was an error and the amount was £35. No alternative accommodation was offered, and several emails from my side later all that I've got from them is "we are awaiting a response from the correct department.

Having read some reviews of the hotel which were not available at the time - several people mention paying £400 per person for this particular holiday (some for 10 days, not 7). Last Minute.com seem to have now got a grand wheeze in place for overcharging people hugely for 3* holidays, offering derisory compensation, and doing it all within a couple of days of travel when people are forced, to "take it or leave it".

I am in the middle of a family bereavement situation and, frankly, am totally appalled by the actions and inactions of Last MInute.CON. Please, anyone looking to book a holiday, look elsewhere and save yourself the hassle, the overcharging, and what will indubitably be, from my side, legal process.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,008 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: lastminute.com, any reviews ?

You've got documentation from them that states "they mis-sold you" a wrong holiday? Was this after final payment?

If so, you've got a fairly sound case legally.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: lastminute.com, any reviews ?

Thanks for your interest - It was paid in full months ago. They sent me an email 3 days ago (4 days before the holiday) stating that the 4* holiday I'd paid for was actually only 3* and they'd only just been informed of that. (!)... and offering me £17.50 per person compensation on a £600+ holiday. I then looked again at the site reviews on trip advisor (they'd been scant at the start of the season), to see that everyone who mentioned cost appeared to be paying £400 for a week (or 10 days)......

sheffield
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
90. Re: lastminute.com, any reviews ?

Holiday from hell and its all due to your firm poor organization and lack of care for clients! Hotel being 2 stars was fine but the fact that we were left without a hotel room for 18 hours in 35 degrees heat is just outrages! My sister which is in her late 50 with a weight problem had passed out due to the heat exhaustion! Can you imagine the physical and psychological consequence it had on her!!Even so the last minute had promised us by email that the accommodation is booked until 4 of September and not 3! !She could of had a stroke due to the heat and sun! Avoid!

Get answers to your questions