We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Women in Mixed Dorms

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Women in Mixed Dorms

My boyfriend and I are leaving for a trip around Europe in a few weeks staying mostly in hostels. Due to availability and cost, we booked a few stays in mixed dorms, between 8-24 beds.

Is it generally ok for women to stay in mixed dorms? Has anyone had any bad experiences with this?

Thanks for your help!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,517 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Women in Mixed Dorms

I think your best response would come from the local forum board for the location of the mixed dorm. I've got no experience with this, but if the city were Rome, for example, I would think the Rome board would have a better idea of all lodging options.

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Women in Mixed Dorms

I guess I was just asking in general how people feel about staying in mixed dorms as a female traveler.

Thanks for the advice though. I'll check out the other forums as well.

Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
477 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Women in Mixed Dorms

Of course it's okay. Why else would they call them mixed dorms?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,260 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Women in Mixed Dorms

YOu'll be there with your boyfriend that should make a difference.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Women in Mixed Dorms

I imagine your experience may be different in different countries. I think you'll be fine though, especially since your will be with your boyfriend.

ktown

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Women in Mixed Dorms

The one and only problem you will have to cope with will be ... heavy snoring. Trust me. Bring earplugs.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Women in Mixed Dorms

I stayed in mixed dorms a few times in Europe, definitely in Berlin and Barcelona. It was ok, except for the snoring. Once I was in a four bed dorm with 3 guys which was a bit uncomfortable but since you're with your boyfriend that will be fine.

8. Re: Women in Mixed Dorms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 00:15