We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broke up with my fiancee - lost my job - I need a vacation!!

S J
Burlington, Vermont
1 post
Save Topic
Broke up with my fiancee - lost my job - I need a vacation!!

Hi Everyone,

This has been a rough year for me. In the past three months I have broken up with my fiancée of 3 years and also been fired from a good job of 2 years (for reasons I don’t think were fair, but that’s another story.) I am 25 years old, all of my friends have moved away, and I find myself very depressed here in Vermont and need to get the hell out of here to clear my mind and start fresh…a “therapy” vacation, if you will. I will be going alone. I am not a very seasoned traveler. I have been all over the U.S. but have never been out of the country (except Canada.) I am planning to budget a trip for $2,000 or less, which will clean most of my bank account out, but I don’t care anymore…I need to get out of here right now.

So to all of you traveling seasoned vets out there, if you were in my shoes and needed to go somewhere in the world to clear your head, where would you go and why? I have no criteria for my request. It can be anywhere in the world, even the U.S.

Thank you!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
23 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Broke up with my fiancee - lost my job - I need a vacation!!

I'm really sorry to hear that you are having such a bad year, I hope things start looking up in the new year and that you can look back on these events as a positive turning point to something better in your life!

Try travelzoo for cheap trips. I like them myself, and it gives you something to look forward to every week when they send out their top 20 deals of the week.

travelzoo.com/cruises/…

(though, winter in parts of the Mediterranean is chilli and windy I believe)

travelzoo.com/vacations/…

Hope that helps...

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Broke up with my fiancee - lost my job - I need a vacation!!

Two suggestions: 2K will put you on a nice 7 day Cruise. Review various web sites for specifics. Or Old Quebec City, Canada. Happy travels!

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Broke up with my fiancee - lost my job - I need a vacation!!

It's hard to be rational in tough times, but try. Perhaps there's a way to be practical and have an escape experience at the same time. Why not pick someplace you think you might like to live that also has a reasonable possibility of having jobs to fit your skill set. Go there and explore the area and the job market, too. Good luck!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
26,719 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Broke up with my fiancee - lost my job - I need a vacation!!

Sorry for the bad times maybe a cruise will be refreshing you do meet very nice people on them.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,082 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Broke up with my fiancee - lost my job - I need a vacation!!

Take a deep breath and read texhills reply #3 again.

Then refer to it again.

Good luck.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Broke up with my fiancee - lost my job - I need a vacation!!

Sorry to hear of your trouble, perhaps it's not a good time to blow 2K though. Do you have family or friends elsewhere in the country you could visit for a while?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Broke up with my fiancee - lost my job - I need a vacation!!

How about going somewhere for three months doing volunteer work. You won't get paid but you will get room and board and your 2K will last longer. May also help you get some perspective on life. Sometimes helping other people can be very therapeutic and healing. And all the people I know who have done it have had a ball in the process.

Good luck!!

Edited: 16 December 2011, 10:54
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Broke up with my fiancee - lost my job - I need a vacation!!

You are far to young for a cruise.

If you can, get yourself over to South East Asia.

Wonderful experience.

Port-au-Prince...
Level Contributor
84 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Broke up with my fiancee - lost my job - I need a vacation!!

As much as I might dislike them a caribbean cruise sounds like the best thing for you. Do a search for singles cruises, pack your bikini and pills and go for it

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Broke up with my fiancee - lost my job - I need a vacation!!

Funny how we take things for granted, I had it in my head the OP was a guy!!!