We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help Picking a Destination

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
355 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help Picking a Destination

My friend and I started a tradition of taking an exciting, annual trip together. So far we have visited Ireland and South Africa. We are having trouble deciding where to go this year. After two awesome trips, we are afraid of a let down.

We had a great time renting a car in Ireland and exploring on our own time and planning our own itinerary. We have looked at a few tour packages for Central/South America, but I don't like having to spend my time at the whim of a tour group. Are there any other countries that are as easily traversed by car? We have both already been to England and are trying to adventure beyond the UK. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help Picking a Destination

Gosh.... So many great options. I'd suggest trying somewhere in Asia. Japan and Hong Kong are wonderful for first time visits to Asia, but the nexus of countries in SEPTEMBER Asia could also be a great choice (Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand hotels you can do all 3 in one trip.

Or maybe New Zealand?

Of course, for the Asian destinations you wouldn't need or want a car.

Edited: 06 February 2012, 19:36
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help Picking a Destination

Iceland! Amazing place. We went last year on a very small budget and had a great time.

ktown

Edited: 06 February 2012, 20:08
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,721 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help Picking a Destination

I like some of the ideas above, but I've never gone to those places. I have been to Costa Rica and found it doable and easy to drive around.

Edited: 07 February 2012, 01:00
Chicago
Level Contributor
8,231 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help Picking a Destination

Since you mentioned south america, I would say Argentina. It's really a very cool country--Buenos Aires is referred to as the Paris of South America. There is much to see and do in the city and then there are many other places to go to by bus. Bus travel in Argentina is amazing and really nice. You get reserved seats and they usually serve a meal. It's like being a plane but it is really inexpensive. A couple years ago, I travelled down to Patagonia and made several stops along the way. I also have travelled by bus to the Igauzu Water falls which was unbelievable and to Barioche which was like visiting an alpine swiss village. You can travel to the wine country of Mendoza or even to other places such as Machu Pichu in Peru or Rio de Janiero in Brazil. Again, it's inexpensive, lovely, no need for a car as the busses are nice and safe even the overnight ones I take all the time to save on a hotel.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,433 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help Picking a Destination

A 2 centre to Thailand? If you fly to Bangkok, you can get internal connecting flights to the north or to the islands(or even to Cambodia) . Car hire on the larger islands is inexpensive, and (generally) the roads are good.

Bali. Small enough to stay a few days in different places, but not so large that you wouldn't fit it all in. In Bali it may even be cheaper to hire a car and driver than navigate the roads yourself.

Both destinations are safe for women travellers.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,927 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help Picking a Destination

If you have been to Britain, then consider the rest of Europe. Usually good roads and loads of contrasts. Wonderful cities - Rome, Paris, Vienna, Budapest (the list goes on and on) and great countryside - seaside, mountains, forests and so forth. And if you get fed up driving, public transport is usually pretty good (indeed in big cities, it's the only way to go).

7. Re: Need Help Picking a Destination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2013, 10:35