We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels.com to book our Honeymoon?

Philadelphia...
10 posts
Save Topic
Hotels.com to book our Honeymoon?

Hotels.com claims your trip is fully refundable up until 24 hours beforehand. Does anyone have any experience with them? I know a lot of sites say that you can cancel and then there is a lot of red tape.

If this isn't the case, should we use another site or purchase travel insurance?

I have a sick family member and need to be prepared for an emergency.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels.com to book our Honeymoon?

Depending on where you are going it's not unusual to be able to cancel a hotel reservation with no penalty, but most people buy non refundable airfare.

You can purchase refundable air fare tickets, but they are normally much more expensive.

Philadelphia...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels.com to book our Honeymoon?

For some reason hotels.com claims their reservations are completely refundable:

hotels.com/customer_care/pillar/risk_free_bo…

Let me know what you think of the link.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels.com to book our Honeymoon?

I am quite sure that link applies to hotel reservations. I think if you play with some reservations, plug in some dates with flight and hotels I think you will see that the flights are not refundable.

There's no way airlines would let hotels.com and only hotels.com cancel flight bookings. It's just not how the airline industry works.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,569 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels.com to book our Honeymoon?

I don't think Hotels.com sell airline tickets at all. At least I don't see any such option on their website. Hotel reservations can often be canceled for a full refund.

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
73 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels.com to book our Honeymoon?

Hotels.com is an aggregator site, meaning, they would have to follow the cancellation terms of the hotels they sell. While there may be some locations and hotels that would allow last minute cancellations, some require more than 1 day.

In that case, if hotels.com sticks with their 'guarantee', that means they will be paying the cancellation fee to the hotel. In any case, just make sure to read the fine print of your reservation as I'm sure there may be additional/different terms per hotel.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,204 posts
1,632 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels.com to book our Honeymoon?

Not all hotels.com are refundable. Some bookings at special prices, they will make clear that its non refundable.

Some bookings which are cancelled last minute, the hotel itself may impose a fee even though hotels.com will not make a charge.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,805 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels.com to book our Honeymoon?

From their website....

1.How do I find the individual hotel's change and cancellation policy before I make a reservation?

We provide the policy for each property in several places throughout the site. The easiest way to find it is on the 'Description' and 'Book It' tabs of the individual property, after entering your travel dates. You can also find the change and cancellation policy while making your reservation

Read the rules and T&Cs of the hotel you are interested in staying. They are not all the same. Many 3rd party sites have a no cance fee policy. But, they will pass on the cancel policy of each individual hotel. You must read the T&Cs!!

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels.com to book our Honeymoon?

Skip hotels.com and buy trip insurance, "cancel for any reason". Check out www.squaremouth.com to price compare.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,569 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels.com to book our Honeymoon?

Why buy insurance to cancel if the rate the OP's looking at is fully refundable?

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels.com to book our Honeymoon?

Hotels.com does offer vacation packages and flights. The flight portion of the package is obviously not going to be refundable. And, has been said, hotels.com does sell some non refundable hotel rooms too, so you have to read the terms and conditions before buying.

As far as insurance, it is something to look into, but you have to read all the fine print with travel insurance to see what is covered and what is excluded.

There was just a post yesterday from a person who was disappointed that her situation was not covered by the insurance she bought, but of course she never read the terms and conditions before purchasing.

Get answers to your questions