We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best at Travel

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Best at Travel

Hi all

I'm looking at booking our honeymoon to Hawaii towards the end of the year. More than likely we'll have a stop on the US mainland for 2 or 3 nights (somewhere like Vegas/LA/San Fran) followed by 5 or 6 nights on Oahu and 5 or 6 nights on Maui.

I've been looking through various sites and came across bestattravel.co.uk. Their prices seem very reasonable compared to other travel agents, especially for the standard of hotels etc that they have offered.

Now, being the cautious person that I am, and considering I've never heard of this company, I've been doing a bit of research into them. Unfortunately, I've found quite a lot of negative reviews (most here on tripadvisor). However, most of them seem to be from 2 or 3 years ago, and most seem to refer to Dubai/Middle East holidays and more often than not one employee in particular.

So - for my peace of mind, has anyone used this company to book a holiday in the last year or so? Or even better, a multi-centre holiday? If so, who was your contact, and what was their service like? Good or bad (hopefully good), I'd be very interested to know.

Thanks in advance

70 replies to this topic
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best at Travel

I found complaints both on the Dubai Forum here on TA and also at

complaintsboard.com/complaints/best-at-trave…

So I certainly would suggest looking elewhere

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best at Travel

That's what I mean though - I can't find any complaints really from 2011 or 2012, or for holidays to the USA.

What I'm trying to find out I suppose is whether they went through a spell of being poor a few years ago, but have picked up significantly since then? The person I've been in contact with from there seems nice and has been patient when I've asked questions, changed my mind etc (as you'd expect). I suppose my experience so far doesn't match with the reviews...!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,604 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best at Travel

These forums are riddled with posters booking the cheapest option possible and getting burned. If Best@Travel are cheaper than everyone else, the best case scenario is that they offer little in the way of customer services. This is your honeymoon, don't risk it to save few quid. Go for an established and reputable agent instead, even if it's more expensive.

Edited: 10 May 2012, 18:11
Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best at Travel

Ask yourself why their prices are so much better? Have they a secret deal with airlines? Can they get special prices from hotels all over the world? But even the big travel companies who buy millions of pounds worth of holidays can't?

Wonder why

Coimbra, Portugal
Level Contributor
83 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best at Travel

I booked with bestattravel in late 2011 for travel to Cuba in 2012 and it was a problem from day 1. I only wish I had found all these negative reviews first. It seemed to me that once they had your money they lost all interest in you and the customer service has been dire to say the least.

This was certainly not a holiday at a bargain price as Thomas Cook were offering a similar holiday considerably cheaper. The reason we did not travel with TC was the ridiculous policy that they have introduced regarding their Premium Cabin but that is a different story.

As far as BAT are concerned, firstly we had a problem getting them to send an acknowledgement or invoice for our booking despite the fact that we had paid. Secondly they booked specific seats on the flights without consulting us first or informing us that seat choice was even an option. Once I had found out it was too late to change our allocated seats.

Our main problem concerned receiving our travel documents including permits to enter Cuba. We travelled from Portugal via Gatwick for this holiday and our documents were finally delivered to our Gatwick hotel only 42 hours before we were due to check in. At the time that we left home in Portugal we still had no idea if we would be able to travel to Cuba or not. This was not the most ideal or relaxing start I have had to a holiday.

Many requests to speak to a manager at BAT by phone and email were all met with the same excuse that, "he was out of the office." Perhaps if he had spent more time in the office the admin staff could have been better organised. Their excuse for the late delivery of the tickets was that they ran out of Cuban entry permits and had difficulty obtaining a supply from the embassy. Had they kept proper control of their stock against future bookings they would not have run out in the first place.

Finally their representation in Cuba was very poor. Whilst I accept that the Cuban reps are not directly employed by BAT, there should be some sort of control over the service that they should have been offering. We were met at the airport OK and had our 'Welcome meeting' then the rep was seen no more either in Havana or Varadero. Her loss as we gave our excursion bookings to a competitior.

I have given BAT every opportunity to respond to my complaints but to no avail. It has left me with no alternative but to warn as many others as possible about the poor service offered by this company.

Best at Travel? Definitely not and should be renamed WORST.

Henley, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best at Travel

We used Best at Travel to go to the Maldives. Priti (aka Kay) was superb, she knew her stuff and didn't let us down. Both hotels were fabulous and all the connecting water taxis worked well. We would use BAT again.

Henley, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best at Travel

We used Best at Travel to go to the Maldives. Priti (aka Kay) was superb, she knew her stuff and didn't let us down. Both hotels were fabulous and all the connecting water taxis worked well. We would use BAT again.

Staffs
Level Contributor
247 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best at Travel

Hi there, thought I should I write because we have just returned from Mauritius with Best at Travel. Like others I booked then read the reviews and was a little concerned about what I had done. I neednt have worried however as the holiday all went like clockwork. Flights were good and transfer and rep in resort actually better than many others I have been with. We were contacted by Best at Travel just before our holiday just to ask if any queries and Im glad to say there were no problems. I know I cant speak for everyone but hope this may put your mind at rest if you have recently booked with them and hope their problems have now all been sorted.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,224 posts
1,640 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best at Travel

Best@travel are just a travel agent like countless others. They package flights, hotels and transport together, they tend to be more price competitive as they are willing to cut down on their profit margins.

Sometimes there may be issues with the flights, or the hotel selected however that does not mean the travel agent does not care if they have problems. In my experience and I am aware of many people who have booked with Best@, they are willing to fight your corner because they want repeat business.

Essex
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best at Travel

Used them often....Excellent!!

Reply to: Best at Travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted