We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not use Hotels.com

Italy
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do not use Hotels.com

“ Do not use Hotels.com ”

May 22, 2012, 10:17 AM

I am in the process of fighting a claim with Hotels.com. As I research complaints via the internet I am finding that my problem seems not to be only mine.

In a nutshell, Hotels.com put us up in a filthy, rundown, nasty hotel in New York. I had called for a reservation at a Best Western and the rep informed me that there were no rooms available but that this other hotel was just like a Best Western. NOT.

There was an old man hanging off a chair as we entered. The entire hotel was FILTHY. My Italian boyfriend had fear in his eyes (no I am not joking) and said to me that this was a hotel for prostitutes and drug addicts.

We did check out the room which was FILTHY. There was a shared bathroom which was FILTHY. He sat on the end of the bed and the mattress came flying up from the headboard. The bed and everything in the room was FILTHY. I called immediately to tell them that this was no Best Western, not even close. The woman seemed fine with the change and put us in another hotel...a bit more expensive but within our budget.

We were charged by Hotels.com over 200 dollars for this rundown, filthy dirty hotel room. I am now in a war with them to get a credit. I just emailed (because of everyone's posts on the web) a page from their own website stating there are no charges from Hotels.com for changes or cancellations. I am also going to be speaking with a woman here in Italy to see if this particular agency can help us out.

I would advise all of you out there looking for hotel rooms to check the prices on Hotels.com but to call the hotels directly. This is what I will be doing from here on out. Do not use Hotels.com; it really isn't worth the hassle.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,328 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not use Hotels.com

If the hotel you wanted was not available you should have went back to the hotels.com page and found a hotel you liked. Why were you on the phone with them anyway?

The no cancel or change fee does not apply after you check-in to the hotel. Most hotels have at least a 24 hour cancel ploicy.

Sounds like you booked blindly and had no idea what you were doing.

Italy
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not use Hotels.com

We were off the plane at JFK...no computer. I had to call; there was no other choice. Also...when I described what we were looking for, the second representative booked us into a great place. The hotel where the first representative sent us, was NOTHING like a Best Western. They are Customer Service Representatives for a reason and this one just did seem to know what he was doing so why do we have to pay????

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,352 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do not use Hotels.com

It would be very helpful to other travelers if you would name this filthy, rundown hotel, so that no one else who reads your comments books the hotel.

I do not think of hotels.com as a travel agency that gives guidance to travelers. I thought it is just a booking agency and the buyer should have some idea what they want before booking with them.

Shared bathrooms are not the norm in the USA, so I am not surprised to read that any hotel in New York City with shared bathrooms is run down. And I apologize in advance if nay of you know a nice hotel in NYC with shared bathrooms.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,328 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not use Hotels.com

<<<<We were off the plane at JFK...no computer. I had to call; there was no other choice.

You arrived without a reservation?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,365 posts
6,130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not use Hotels.com

Do keep in mind that being in NYC might have had something to do with it as well. Not sure what the Best Western standard there, but NYC probably holds the unique distinction of having the most expensive hotels in the USA but also some of the worst value for money hotels. We've also had the 3 Star hotel, $175 per night, horrible hotel experience years ago. Fortunately, there TA and other means for reviewing hotels is available these days so you are research hotels online prior to booking them.

Sorry to the OP, finding out at the airport in NYC is a bit late in the game and with the high occupancy rate of NYC hotels, your options were surely limited. Not fun!

Regarding hotels.com: We had similar cancellation problems with hotel.com, mind you its been a fair number of years now, where they contacted us several trips in a row to inform us that the hotel we had booked through them was full and that they had a similar hotel available for the same fee. In each occasion, we did our own research of the the newly suggested hotel and thought 'No Way!'. Hotels.com was friendly enough to fully refund us each time so we could simply find our own accommodations that suited our needs and interests. However, we found this frustrating and stopped using them for actual bookings after the third, now we simply use them to help short-list hotels and cross reference reviews.

We now primarily use www.booking.com for securing reservations in the event that we can't get a cheaper or better deal going directly through the hotels. Have been successful with them all over the world now and have yet to have any problems over the past 5 or so years of using them.

I know many are happy with www.hotels.com and they have provided many travelers with very good service. However, the OPs experience is worth noting. This is simply not a fun way to start your holiday. Sorry DixieCatt

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,994 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do not use Hotels.com

The chance that the CSR would have any first-hand knowledge or experience with the hotel in question is very small. He probably just looked for hotels in your price range or preferred area and that's what came up on his screen. I wouldn't say your case shows there's a problem with Hotels.com as much as there's a problem booking last-minute over the phone without any chance to research the place you are offered.

California
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do not use Hotels.com

I use hotels.com all the time and have never had a problem. I was once given a terrible room which was obvious a smoking room and I had requested a non-smoking room. I called them from the stinky room and complained and five minutes later I was given another hotel and paid the difference. They were very easy to deal with.

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do not use Hotels.com

I think the agency you booked through has no problem. It is the Hotel you chose that has a problem.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,352 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do not use Hotels.com

I'd still like to know the name of the hotel.

Dothan, Alabama
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Do not use Hotels.com

Hotels.com is the worst company i have ever had to deal with. Always go directly to the hotel. Never ever use Hotels.com. Thry are liars who do not tell you about the hidden rates until after you hae booked your reservation and are standing in front of the counter at the hotel. I will never again use HOTELS.com.

Edited: 25 March 2013, 19:19