We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be Careful if booking with World Expeditions

oakland, ca
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Be Careful if booking with World Expeditions

They are very expensive, are only the middle man, subcontract all, and bill themselves as "adventure". They don't deliver any of the off-the-beaten track their site promises and even noted that a destination alone qualifies as "adventure and off the beaten track"! Better to go with a local company. Cheaper, better service and they really can do adventure.

London, England
Level Contributor
7,976 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be Careful if booking with World Expeditions

Your post makes no sense unless you tell of your holiday experience. In this post you are criticising a company without any relevant facts.

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be Careful if booking with World Expeditions

I've have done two trips with world expeditions one in Australia and one in Chile.

While they may not be the cheapest operator the guides are of the highest calibre. If the trip goes where others don't or the times suit you best go with them!

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Be Careful if booking with World Expeditions

I agree with the original post by gbb4u. I have done two trips with this company and in my latest trip (Walk in the Alps) I discovered that they have charged me a massive 42% premium over what their subcontractor charges them. All other travellers had paid Euros520 whereas I ended up paying Euros740 with world expeditions. They make a huge margin for just running the website. Obvioulsy, the quality of the journeys will entirely depend upon the local travel firm that is organising the trip. So please check and compare prices from various other providers before booking your journey....

Minnamurra
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Be Careful if booking with World Expeditions

I agree. They promised us, in writing, $300 in vouchers if we booked a tour with them and we are still trying to chase it up. I have emailed many times, and phoned, and they say someone will get back to me but they never do..

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Be Careful if booking with World Expeditions

We disagree. Our walk in the alps with this company was outstanding value. We did alot of research before departure and they were by far the best value we could find. Their guides were qualified and our experience could not have been better from the helpful office staff (who had done the trip!) to the end of our trip we will never forget.

London, England
Level Contributor
7,976 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be Careful if booking with World Expeditions

When booking any kind of trip you need to do research beforehand, especially if it is costing a lot of money. Not only is research required on the places you are going to visit, but also compare prices. I still have no idea what the OP is really complaining about as they haven't bothered to explain, so his gripes probably were unfounded or not that important.

oakland, ca
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Be Careful if booking with World Expeditions

Happy to provide details. I went to Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan. They had me on the exact same itinerary as the massive tour groups despite all prior discussions of my interests and my understanding of how this would be unique. I paid dearly for unique and customized, not to be sent to shops and more shops. When I asked where my "adventure" part was when I returned, they said "the destination alone constituted the adventure". More problems including staff both in country and when I returned not willing to respond to complaints (tour guide actually said and I quote "not my problem"), not giving the CEO's address (how silly since she has a Twitter account!), and just not having a true customer focus. I would never use them again for just that reason. Hope this helps. It's the absolute lack of customer focus that makes me adamant about not using them again.

London, England
Level Contributor
7,976 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be Careful if booking with World Expeditions

Do they not belong to some kind of travel organisation where you can report them? For example, here in the UK reputable travel companies belong to Association of British Travel Agents who have a Code of Conduct which they have to abide by. They can often help out with disputes, but you need to have proof of incidents.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be Careful if booking with World Expeditions

Here is one relevant fact. I signed up with World Expeditions last May for a Prague-Vienna bike ride. They subcontract to local tours. In my case I paid a extra $400.00 for the privilege.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
47,674 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Be Careful if booking with World Expeditions

With all due respect, what do you expect when you use a third party instead of booking direct. I assume you didn't do any research, and only found out about the higher price afterwards?