We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpack v Case

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Backpack v Case

Hello Fellow Trip Advisers,

This is my first time on this forum, I am heading to Europe with my girlfriend later this year for 2 months and then heading to the USA for about 6 weeks. We are planning on travelling around Europe "backpacker" style, staying in Hostels etc, just wondering what the general consensus is on a backpack versus a case. The biggest issue I have noticed is the limited space in a backpack but it certainly seems more convenient. I would be happy to hear suggestions/other peoples experiences.

Thanks in advance,

James

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpack v Case

I've never traveled "backpacker" style, but I like wheels, rather than extra weight on my shoulders. So, that's my answer.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpack v Case

If you are travelling around Europe by air - the most important things are dimensions and weight. The budget airlines - like Ryanair and Easyjet - are very strict.

London, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Backpack v Case

I roll my empty backpack into my wheel case.

Then you can leave most of your items at your accommodation and just fill your backpack with the day's requirements.

Best of both worlds :D

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Backpack v Case

I used to travel with a backpack but it's hard work and really only convenient when going up/down stairs.

Just getting it on your back is a hassle after a few weeks as you accumulate stuff.

Also hard to organize your clothes etc.

I now travel with soft trolley on wheels (eastpack).

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,433 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Backpack v Case

I think that the best idea would be to have a small wheeled suitcase AND a daypack. I know you are traveling for a looong time but remember that you need to easily carry your belongings and large backpacks or large wheeled suitcases don't work well.

I can get everything I need for a 10-14 day trip into a 20inch rolling suit case +daypack(or in my case a large tote bag) You can do laundry along the way but you will be happier if you are not dragging heavy bags!!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,326 posts
6,125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Backpack v Case

If you position your backpack correctly, the extra weight should be centered and thus felt on your hips instead of your back/shoulders. I have a bad left shoulder so have to make sure my pack is aligned correctly to prevent soar back pain after walking around with the pack on for a while.

Yes, you sacrifice some space but if you are traveling on a budget then you should be going light anyway, right? Also, make good use of a day pack to carry extras that for some reason don't fit in your backpack as well as city street maps, camera and travel guides.

Also, a huge advantage to backpacks in is that when you wear them, you have two free hands instead of one or none due to carrying luggage. I've found this extremely helpful when arriving in new/different cities, via bus or train and having to navigate my way around, holding a street map in one hand. Not having to carry or pull luggage with the other is very convenience, actually makes me feel less vulnerable as well.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Backpack v Case

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the feedback, certainly a bit of thinking to do, I will let you know what i decide! :)

Regards,

James

8. Re: Backpack v Case

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 July 2012, 20:35
9. Re: Backpack v Case

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2013, 10:15