We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't trust fictitious prices on Teletext Holidays

England
Level Contributor
32 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Can't trust fictitious prices on Teletext Holidays

I don't search for holidays as much as I used to, but an unreliable industry seems to be getting more devious by the year. I tend to look for a user-friendly search facility, and Teletext fits the bill.

Searching for a specific hotel on Gran Canaria, very flexible on dates, it was good to find Teletext showing lots of prices but 6 options from £262 to £300, all from Stansted which is ideal.

They seemed a bit too close together in price in actual fact, and offering identical holidays via Media Travel, Broadway Travel, Low Cost Holidays, and Teletext Holidays itself.

Try finding them!!

Low Cost Holidays made me build a holiday with accommodation first, then insurance, then flights and so on, not what I wanted, but ending up at around £400.

Broadway Travel was £355 minimum; after reading about Media Travel I wouldn't even entertain them.

I imagine they just make up the prices to draw potential customers in, then try and sell them something else. Certainly I couldn't get this holiday at anything like the advertised price, and reading the reviews on Low Cost and Media certainly, I doubt I'd have the confidence to trust that they'd deliver what I'd paid for.

I really regret that First Choice now offer only all inclusive, as they were very straightforward to search and book with.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't trust fictitious prices on Teletext Holidays

You could try Thompson holidays, their website is straightforward and I think their prices are reasonable wit transfers included (usually)

2. Re: Can't trust fictitious prices on Teletext Holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2012, 00:17
Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't trust fictitious prices on Teletext Holidays

It may well be cheaper, but you may get let down with transfers sometimes, plus it's a bit more hassle, just depends how much you can save really, against the risks with DIY.

We have ( and will) do both, depending on the country.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,932 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't trust fictitious prices on Teletext Holidays

Teletext is not a place that would even enter my head to look for a holiday and lot's of them aren't packages anyway when it comes to booking them.

Much prefer DIY. So easy, flight direct with the airline, car direct with car hire company and accommodation direct - holiday sorted!

England
Level Contributor
32 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't trust fictitious prices on Teletext Holidays

I've been out of touch for a day or two, and having just read your kind responses I'll try and follow up prices that are still being quoted online by Teletext. First thoughts are:-

One area I'm not green as grass on is searching for and researching holiday packages. Teletext IS and has been for 20 years a medium many people would look at as a first port of call in looking for offers. Most people would use a screenscraper like Skyscanner to find cheapest flight deals; similarly as in this case I know exactly which hotel I want to stay at, but with very flexible dates, I use a screenscraper where I can home in on that hotel rather than trawl through lots of operators, most of whom don't include the particular hotel, as Thomson don't in this instance.

I might just be able to book hotel and flight separately but just doubt I could get it down to the under £300 mark that Teletext were showing.

I expect insurance to be extra, and with some operators now, transfers, but I expect any extra costs to be minimal, and the cost quoted to cover the basics - not a Ryanair type price.

Right now, I am convinced that although Teletext said prices were valid as of an hour before I checked, they were either a week or more out of date, or more likely never actually available.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't trust fictitious prices on Teletext Holidays

Its just like looking in a travel agents window at whats on offer only to be disappointed when you go in and enquire that the price advertised is no longer available or has increased. To me they are all there just to grab your attention.

7. Re: Can't trust fictitious prices on Teletext Holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 September 2012, 22:05
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,536 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't trust fictitious prices on Teletext Holidays

Hi TeletextHolidays;

I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with the posting guidelines regarding the participation of business representatives, as your post is in violation of them.

Best Regards

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
563 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can't trust fictitious prices on Teletext Holidays

anyone remember the days when you used to look on the telly at the teletext and see stupid crazy prices

remember once seeing 14nts flydrive to florida for £29

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can't trust fictitious prices on Teletext Holidays

Bet you either couldn't afford it or get the time off!!

Get answers to your questions