We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priceline Car Rental Add-on Collision Insurance

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
350 reviews
Save Topic
Priceline Car Rental Add-on Collision Insurance

I've used priceline ften for cars and hotels. Renting an SUV for a winter trip I decided to add their collision damage waiver insurance at $11 a day. I figured since I was going to snowy, perhaps icy areas that would be smart. Being on the cautious side, I read the fine print on the insurance and saw that it does not cover 3 wheel drive SUV's. Seemed crazy to me that Priceline would sell insurance that did not cover the car they rented me, so I called the insurance company and was told that the insurance would not cover the car I rented. When I called Priceline to cancel the insurance the guy I spoke to thought I was nuts even though I read to him directly from the Priceline emails. Just warning others to be careful.

27 replies to this topic
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,370 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Priceline Car Rental Add-on Collision Insurance

Ideally you should read the terms and conditions before you buy the insurance, but I can tell you the one time I had an issue with a Priceline bid I was able to speak to a supervisor and get resolution to my problem.

If you just talked to the customer service rep who answered your call he probably did not have the authority to help you. It might be worth another try.

In my situation I had bid on a hotel in Clearwater, Florida. In my congratulations e mail I was given an option to add a car rental. I did not notice that I was bidding on a rental at PIE, Clearwater St Pete airport. Since my flight was into TPA, Tampa Int'l my rental at PIE was a problem.

I explained very nicely to the Supervisor what happened and he allowed me to switch the reservation to the airport I needed with a one day penalty. I also had to listen to a lecture about how this was a one time thing and I should not expect these kind of adjustments in the future.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Priceline Car Rental Add-on Collision Insurance

I read the fine print on the insurance and saw that it does not cover 3 wheel drive SUV's

You mean four wheel drive, correct? Did they cancel this policy and refund to you?

I agree, it's nonsense to sell you a policy that won't even cover what you rented.

Natick...
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Priceline Car Rental Add-on Collision Insurance

I use Priceline quite often for my flight tickets, hotel bookings and car rentals. I used Priceline for car rental in Fajardo. I never used the booking since we found a better solution for car rental. However, I as charged $44 by Priceline for Collision Damage. I dont understand why Priceline would charge me for a service they never provided. It makes sense that Enterprise charge me for any car related service. I asked them to do something about it, but they kept repeating the same thing, that it was pre-paid and nothing could be done about it. I am not at all happy about this.

I learned this the hard way. Future users beware of these, never get any insurance from priceline.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Priceline Car Rental Add-on Collision Insurance

Yes, a typo. I meant four wheel drive. They did cancel and refund it.

Bacolod, Philippines
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Priceline Car Rental Add-on Collision Insurance

$44 the whole amount is for the Collision Insurance only? That's for the 4days rent right? Since it's $11 per day. It depends upon how you booked it though... Was it you who name the price? If it was you then it was a type of booking that is negotiated... and NYOP or negotiated reservations are non-changeable, non-transferrable, and non-refundable.

Edited: 20 June 2013, 08:54
Bacolod, Philippines
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Priceline Car Rental Add-on Collision Insurance

CDWI is non-refundable. and if you really would insist for a refund you need to ask it directly to the Insurance company handling your insurance. Yes, it is prepaid. And even if you did not used the booking, you will still be charged. Since, during your reservation process, you are already deducted with that amount for your CDWI. You can have it cancelled nor REFUNDED. You can have your reservation cancelled but the CDWI will remain as is. For the resevation it will depend upon the cancellation policy of the rental car company. And you will of course have it refunded if you follow the policy. Usually for cancellation after the drop-off date, they will charge you for 1 night and will refund the rest.

Edited: 20 June 2013, 09:09
New York, NY
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Priceline Car Rental Add-on Collision Insurance

Is it cheaper for me to buy the $9 a day collision insurance from Priceline (I live in New York) or buy it when I rent my car at the car rental counter?? This whole insurance thing is SO confusing--and I think they make it that way on purpose. Any help would be appreciated.

Quincy...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Priceline Car Rental Add-on Collision Insurance

I too bought the insurance from priceline, but when I arrived at the Hertz counter was told it was invalid and the $10.99/day would be $29.99/day instead. Priceline customer service just giggled saying, oh yeah it's not covered, and would investigate me getting a refund. If it's not covered, why are they offering it....Is this even legal....and where are there call centers located....not very good customer service.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,370 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Priceline Car Rental Add-on Collision Insurance

Was the Priceline insurance invalid or just not inclusive of all the coverage you needed?

Tampa
Level Contributor
2 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Priceline Car Rental Add-on Collision Insurance

It is my understanding that what Priceline sells you as "insurance" it is not recognized by any car rental agency. That does not mean that you have no coverage. It simply means that you are covered personally by a third party.

If you buy rental car coverage (not insurance, as they don't sell insurance, but do sell damage waivers) from the car rental agency, if something gets damaged in your rental, you simply fill a report and you are pretty much done. That coverage becomes Primary coverage and your personal insurance is never involved and your premiums don't go up because there's no claim against you.

If you decline for example, LDW from let's say HERTZ, because you either got it from Priceline or simply refused the Car Rental Agency's loss damage waiver; Then HERTZ in this case will come after you, as you are primary responsible for ANY damages to their property (rental car), and you file a claim with Priceline's insurance (whomever sold the policy) as Priceleine is the middleman here. You personally have to fight your own battle here, versus if you purchased it from the car rental agency, you simply fill a report and walk away.

LDW can be seen as expensive, but in reality if you were to total loss the rental car, the $22.00 (or whatever the fee was) will be a life saver.

Because you will be billed for EVERYTHING. Admin fees, loss of use, repairs, depreciation (loss of value), and so on. You can rack up $50K in no time. Of course depending on what you rented.

Hope this helped and peace of minde is priceless.

Reply to: Priceline Car Rental Add-on Collision Insurance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted