We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fox rent a car

Dacula, Georgia...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Fox rent a car

Has anyone ever used Fox rent a car? I'm heading to California in a few months and need a car. The price difference in cars between Fox and more well known companies is $150. Seems almost too good to be true!

220 replies to this topic
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fox rent a car

What city are you looking at renting from? I think at least some Fox locations are off airport, so less convenient. You will probably find more complaints about Fox, but I would take a chance if there is that much of a price difference.

Here's what I suggest. If you can book without paying upfront and Fox is that much cheaper just book the reservation and keep looking. Prices for the major rental companies may come down at some point then just book a new reservation and cancel with Fox.

I was in San Francisco in April and I had an expensive reservation and about 3 weeks before my travel date Alamo came out with some cheap rates. You need to check often because rates may only decrease for a few days then pop back up again.

You can also look for coupon codes online to save some money. Just do some googling. I also joined Alamo's Insider club free online and found they give discounts to Insider members on top of coupons or other sale prices.

If you are willing to put in the time to research you can save money. Then there is always Priceline or Hotwire when you get closer to your travel date.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,814 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fox rent a car

We had a Fox car last year for our road trip up the west coast. Their offices are, indeed offsite but it was no problem. At LAX they run a shuttle bus to their offices and when we got to SEATAC they dropped us at the airport when we dropped off the car.

During the course of our rental, there was a bit of damage done to the car which we discussed when we returned the car - a scratch on one of the door panels and a chipped windscreen.

They said they would get back to us regarding the damage but it would probably put down to normal wear and tear - yeah right!!!!!!

We never heard from them again and were never asked to pay for the damage.

Great service and it was about half the cost of the majors to rent with them.

Would have been even less than half if it weren't for the one way drop off fee.

I would use them again as my preferred rental company in a heartbeat.

Edited: 09 October 2012, 10:37
Bratislava...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Fox rent a car

When i was looking for some sports car like mustang, camaro etc in Seattle, Fox was the only one who offered this kind of car. Well, i read a lot of reviews, many of them was not very positive and I already have bad experience with car rental from Italy, where a car rental company Locauto charged us for imaginary damage, but its offtopic now. With some worries i booked a Mustang at Fox Seattle Tacoma airport. After landing in Seattle, shuttle bus took us to the new building full of rental car companies, where is also Fox located. The price was quite higher, because of insurance and young driver fee, but nothing special. We also rented GPS, to travel to Canada. but they hadnt Canadian maps, so we gave it back. The Fox guy told us to go downstairs and choose one of the cars in sector Z, which was full of Mustangs, Challengers, some more powerful Toyotas etc, no Camaro but it was ok. After looking on all that nice cars Ive never seen before togehter (Im from Slovakia, Europe) i decided to choose Black Mustang Convertible 2011, 3,7 litre V6. It was very clean, engine started with great sound, everything was fine. There was some little damage on the bumpers, that was not written in car documentation, so according to my previous experience with other car rentals, i took some photos and told it to Fox officer, that there is some damage, but he told that its ok. Everything went great, we also tried ride with roof down and enjoyed the car for three days. I returned the car on time, Fox officer checked gas, he didnt specially check the car, I gave him keys, wrote down some papers and thanked for a good service. So do not hesitate to rent a car from Fox cars, theyre good :)

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fox rent a car

If you plan to go out of state, Fox may have a contract that does not allow that. Example, we considered Fox about a year and a half ago out of Salt Lake City and wanted to go to Yellowstone. Although Fox had the better price, they would not allow us to go out of state, so we went with another company.

Maastricht, The...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fox rent a car

Worst company ever. They had many hidden fees, were very insisting, and their service sucks. We asked an explanation of the fees, and they told us it was an insurance because we wanted to go to Canada. Then, when we came back we had more fees. We asked again and it were all these different charges. I assume they just add some charges in codes and they do not even know what they are charging. I dont even think they were that inexpensive. Next time, I will go to Avis!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fox rent a car

Another case of all those hidden fees. How hard did you research to find the charges before you booked?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fox rent a car

don' t rent with these people. they charge you whith things that they are not suppose to.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,834 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fox rent a car

<<<<<don' t rent with these people. they charge you whith things that they are not suppose to.

Such as?

Springvale, Maine
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fox rent a car

I strongly and urgently recommend that you do NOT rent from Fox Rent a Car!!! My wife and I (and 30 other customers) had a terrible experience while picking up our "reserved" car at Denver Intl. Airport on September 6, 2013: they didn't have any cars!! Every customer in line had to wait a minimum of 2+ hours to get a car as they came back to the lot. The customer service was non-existent: none of us were told about the problem and what our options were. It was painful to watch the desk attendants trying to pacify an increasingly frustrated and angry group of customers. I heard more than one employee state that they didn't know why they worked for this company--so I don't think this was a one time occurrence. It took us nearly as much time to fly from Boston to Denver as it took us to get our vehicle!! On the upside, the car ran fine for the rental period and drop-off was non-eventful. STAY AWAY!!!

Brookings, South...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fox rent a car

We recently used Fox Rent a Car at the Denver Airport. They were great. The car we received was a little small but everything else about it went just fine. Definitely worth the $100 lower bill for us!

Edited: 19 October 2013, 03:20
Reply to: Fox rent a car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted