We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking via cost saving sites

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
booking via cost saving sites

We have just stayed in a scottish hotel for an extra night tacked on to a weekend at more expensive one for a wedding. I booked the extra night via booking.com where they had a deal for £39 instead of £99 for a twin room. b and b. We knew the hotel so I booked it. The food was good and everywhere was clean, however the twin room was a tired and dingy back room, and was a single room with a second bed jammed in so that there was about a foot of space at the sides and bottom, you couldn't open the bathroom door properly, and the shower head wasn't properly attached. You couldn't have got a cat in , let alone swung it.

This is a cautionary tale really, the very good breakfast is £8.50 for non guests, so I suppose we paid £22 for the room. so we didn't feel we could complain. I think that the rooms you get for the £39 deal are not what they get for £99- we would have complained at that and not accepted the room, there is plenty around on a Sunday night out of season, caveat emptor

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: booking via cost saving sites

Why didn't you complain? I don't care what I paid for the room I'm in, I expect the same standards as any of their other customers.

I've used booking.com and been happy with the results. If I was given a room that was not satisfactory I would request another room.

ktown

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,328 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booking via cost saving sites

How can we be cautious of the hotel when you don't tell us which hotel it is?

This is an issue with the hotel. Regardless of how you booked the room, or what you paid for the room, it should be in good order and repair. I would have complained regardless of the price paid.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booking via cost saving sites

I agree with ktown on this one...no matter what kind of "deal" I got or even if I used points to get a free room, I always would approach the hotel first if I had an issue with the description of said deal or didn't feel things were up to par. I would also recommend identifying the hotel and posting a TripAdvisor review, because sometimes they are read by the provider and by others. But, if all you want to do is vent and warn others, I guess after a while this post will get lost in all the other complaint posts in this forum.

Edited: 16 October 2012, 16:19
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,432 posts
2,104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booking via cost saving sites

I booked a room for someone for business purposes just today via third party site. He ended up getting a suite. Its a low time of the week and he managed to snag the best room which at the weekends goes to the newlyweds.

Its more likely on that day they had a run out of the good rooms.

5. Re: booking via cost saving sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2013, 10:17