We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable trip ideas?

Fort Bragg, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Affordable trip ideas?

Hello, I'm new here. Quick about, I attend USMA at West Point, 20 years old, looking for some adventures. I love outdoors things like kayaking, hiking (especially), camping, backpacking, sightseeing, etc.

We don't have much time off here, but this coming spring I have about 10 days to myself that I really want to spend going on some sort of adventure. Problem is, I don't make much money -- so I am definitely on a budget.

Any cheaper travel ideas for these sort of thrills? Hoping to go outside continental U.S. Has anyone been to Iceland? Tickets there are not too expensive round trip. Thanks, everyone!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,375 posts
6,130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable trip ideas?

Destinations in central America, like Costa Rica and Belize are commonly mentioned on this and various TA forums for adventure and beach destinations in your part of the world. I might start there.

Iceland will not be a cheap destination if budget is an important consideration for you. Make sure you are aware of hotel, car rental, food and tour prices there not just airfare.

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable trip ideas?

I agree with Bradjill, Iceland is not cheap, so look at the destination has suggested for you Costa Rica, Hungary, Belize this will be a wonderful destination as i'd suggest Greece too it worth it.

You can use a Group Tours will fit the bill and make it more fun, take some young group tour of Europe. there is a lot to contact and see the differ, also use the Forums of places possibly go to visit .

Regards.

H

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable trip ideas?

If you are set on Iceland, then using local buses, rather than inclusive tours, hostels & small B & B's can make your trip quite inexpensive. Also, until the end of May, it is considered a Low season; therefore much cheaper....

visiticeland.com/TravelGuide/…

www.hostel.is/Hostels/Reykjavikdowntown

Food - check supermarkets etc...

visitreykjavik.is/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-…

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable trip ideas?

I was in Iceland last year and if you have your heart set on Iceland is certainly can be done on a budget.

Icelandair has some very reasonable fares. The most expensive thing for our trip (next to the airfare) was the car rental. Buses are an option, but they are infrequent so take lots of planning and will certainly limit your ability to see all you can, therefore if at all possible rent a car.

We got an incredible deal on a hotel room in Reykjavik on Expedia - well worth the time to keep checking and watch for deals. And as suggested above, certainly check into hostels. They also have a system of people on farms who let out rooms/beds at reasonable prices.

Restaurant food is incredibly expensive, as is alcohol. To keep on budget I'd suggest finding places where they have cooking facilities so that you can self cater. Our favourite grocery store was called Bonus - good prices.

ktown

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable trip ideas?

Review the web site: Travelzoo.com for ideas. Happy travels!

6. Re: Affordable trip ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions