We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning - do not book via www.venere.com

uk
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Warning - do not book via www.venere.com

WARNING - do not book a hotel on http://www.venere.com/?kwp=100-228&ref=31429 - I booked a room and the price was charged in UK £, then the hotel billed me in Euros and the cost was lots more. I went back to the customer Services at Venere and the did not help they said i had to talk to the hotel - well the hotel told me it was bank charges i had to pay and that's why they ripped me off more then £30 over my booking. I only found out they had billed me in advance of my arrival, as Venere.com told me i would have to pay in cash when i got to the hotel, so i was at the bank getting out the cash when i saw the payment direct to the hotel for more then i had been quoted on Venere.com. If i had not found this out maybe i would also of been billed twice.

The worst thing about this is the Customer Service at Venere.com - here's some of the things they said to me over the booking..

this is what they said on the day I was due to fly out..

'we kindly ask you to be patient, we have wrote again to the hotel for your issue regarding the reservation 15989277

Fabio Brocchi

Customer Service

Venere.com

Once they had worked out why I was over charged this is what they said 'We understand that this was a difficult situation for you, but unfortunately, I must point out that we cannot take responsibility for this occurrence.'

Saying all this the hotel has a great location, but the fact that they have stolen money from me via the booking as made me very annoyed. DO NOT BOOK VIA Venere.com - unless you like being ripped off.

82 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,149 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning - do not book via www.venere.com

Venere is a site I have used many times when the small European hotel I wanted to book did not have a secure site to make a reservation.

They will tell you if you can just book the hotel with a credit card to hold the res and then pay when you arrive OR if you need to pay right away.

I have never booked a place through Venere where I had to pay in cash but I have used some small hotels where you hold the res with a credit card but you pay in cash when you arrive.

iF the hotel is in the eurozone then I'd expect to pay in euros.

It sounds like confusion between seeing the price on the site in pounds just to see the price in a way you could understand and how you actually need to pay the fee. I can understand the confusion but I wouldn't call it a reason to never use the booking site again. I'd just chalk it up to a learning experience. BTW there are always fees that your bank or credit card will charge for converting from one currency to another. Mine charges 3%. You might check with your own bank/credit card to see what they charge.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,186 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning - do not book via www.venere.com

I went thru the booking process a couple time using different hotels. The price shown was always in US dollars (for me) and below that these few words were always present....

*Payments to be made in this currency: €

I think you possibly failed to read all the information provided to you.

Because you expected to pay the hotel and not Venere, the following Terms of Service would apply to you....

*With certain hotels, you may be presented with the option to pay online immediately or to pay later at the hotel itself. If you select the option to pay online immediately, you will be charged the amount in the currency that you select immediately. If you do not select any of the available currencies you will be charged the amount in Euro. If you select to pay later at the hotel itself, the hotel will charge you in the local currency of the relevant hotel at the time of your stay. Tax rates and foreign exchange rates could change in the time between booking and stay.*

The important thing to note from that is this.....

*the hotel will charge you in the local currency of the relevant hotel at the time of your stay.

Edited: 11 November 2012, 18:46
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning - do not book via www.venere.com

I have used them, and their sister company easytobook a few times without a problem. As with similar sites such as hotels.com there is sometime a choice of paying now in sterling or pay later in local currency. The price in sterling is indicative based on the prevailing exchange rate, which can of course go up, or down.

Not sure why the hotel billed you early as you seem to be saying?

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning - do not book via www.venere.com

I've used venere.com on a number of occassions without any issues also.

5. Re: Warning - do not book via www.venere.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 December 2014, 19:35

uk
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning - do not book via www.venere.com

have you checked your bank statments?

uk
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning - do not book via www.venere.com

hi - i was charged £30 more then i was quoted. I’m just warning you and others not to use the site as they charge you more then you are quoted and more then the hotels is advertised at. (I wish someone had warned me)

Also it is false advertising to advertise something at one price then bill you at a more expensive one. It was not a miss understanding and I have emails from the booking company to prove it.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,149 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning - do not book via www.venere.com

I don't work for Venere. I am a retired teacher in the USA.

The site does not charge more than you are quoted!

There is ALWAYS a fee to change money so whatever the hotel was quoted in pounds your bank /credit card will always charge a fee to change from the currency of the country into pounds. It just sounds like you didn't realize this.

IF you are still upset then I'd go talk to your bank.

2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning - do not book via www.venere.com

You are right.

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning - do not book via www.venere.com

You are right.

Reply to: Warning - do not book via www.venere.com
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted