We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone know of last minute airfare discounts?

Los Angeles...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Does anyone know of last minute airfare discounts?

I always wait last minute to get a great discount on rooms, however as mentioned above, the airfare gets more expensive the longer I wait and get closer to my travel date. Hoping someone has some good insight to airfare! Thanks :)

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,262 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anyone know of last minute airfare discounts?

When do you want to fly? There really is no such thing as last minute airfare. There are fewer seats available these days. Aircraft fly full. As a general rule, the closer the date the higher the fare.

Los Angeles...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anyone know of last minute airfare discounts?

Thanks, unfortunately, it's easier to find discounts for a place to stay last minute versus planning ahead of time. It's so hard to find a good deal on flights.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anyone know of last minute airfare discounts?

There are no last minute discounts on airfare anymore. Flights are priced in certain fare classes, and the cheapest have the most restrictions (must purchase 21+ days from travel date, etc.). The closer to your travel date, the more likely you aren't eligible for the cheaper tickets, or they are sold out.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does anyone know of last minute airfare discounts?

Couldn't you book flights in advance (on sale) to lock dates in, and then just wait until the last minute before booking the hotel?

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,000 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does anyone know of last minute airfare discounts?

As soon as I book airfare I usually book a hotel that can be cancelled without penalty and keep looking for better hotel rates, same with rental cars.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does anyone know of last minute airfare discounts?

I like to book ahead, personally. However, use a fare search engine like skyscanner.net to see the cheapest times and airlines based on your given route and/or dates.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
39 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does anyone know of last minute airfare discounts?

Hotel and car rental prices fluctuate so much that you can book those ahead of time and always cancel later or negotiate the price down later if you find something better.

Flights, it's really luck of the draw unless you get a refundable ticket, which most people can't afford, including myself. I'm not sure you will be able to find a last minute deal on a flight. Usually if you are buying a ticket at the last minute, you need to get somewhere. Then you are at the mercy of the airline and they are in the business of making money.

8. Re: Does anyone know of last minute airfare discounts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 05:15