We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priceline travel insurance is a scam

Level Contributor
25 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Priceline travel insurance is a scam

I booked a room at a hotel and the road to the hotel was closed due to a snow storm. I did try to call PL customer service and the hotel which was useless. I had purchased trip insurance and I did follow the guidelines, they simply do not pay. I went back on the charge to my credit card, but PL disputed the charge and won stating that I needed to contact the insurance company that they use, not PL itself. After three rounds of disputes with my credit card and numerous attempts to get the money back from the insurance, I decided that I was overpowered. This included multiple back and forth correspondence over a 90 pd. They got my money, but I hope that everyone that reads this will know that it is a scam.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,305 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Priceline travel insurance is a scam

So why not tell us the name of the real culprit..the insurance company

Level Contributor
25 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Priceline travel insurance is a scam

Perhaps, but PL has endorsed their product and service by offering this insurance without regard for their integrity and has failed to assist customers that have been harmed by deceptive business practices.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,007 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Priceline travel insurance is a scam

The word 'scam' is used way too much around here. TA should add it to their filters.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 14:01
Level Contributor
25 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Priceline travel insurance is a scam

It is what it is, just saying....

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,466 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Priceline travel insurance is a scam

Still haven't heard the name of the insurance company.

I don't know if travel insurance is under their jurisdiction, but if you are in the USA I believe every state has an insurance commissioner. You can file a complaint with the office of the insurance commissioner.

Insurance companies in my state of Wisconsin don't like complaints and generally follow up. The most likely situation is this is not a scam, but your situation did not fall within the policy of the contract you purchased. Still, the least they can do is give you an explanation of why they won't pay.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 14:43
Level Contributor
25 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Priceline travel insurance is a scam

BerkelyCare, and they don't care.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Priceline travel insurance is a scam

Scam? A little strong, no?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,395 posts
822 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Priceline travel insurance is a scam

Snow storm is an act of god. Is that even covered?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Priceline travel insurance is a scam

Not knowing what your insurance policy actually covered, it's impossible to offer any advice. However, agree your complaint is with the ins. company, not PL.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,022 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Priceline travel insurance is a scam

Another mention of your insurance company, BerkelyCare, was on the Cancun board. They apparently have a relationship with AAA, as well. Maybe AAA is a scam?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150807-i8-k522909…

Anyways, here are some consumer advocate links for them if you do want to fight.

onyoursi.de/wiki/…