We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

site giving hotel information

Didcot, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
site giving hotel information

Hi

I am looking for a site that will tell me about hotels I want to know

How close to beach

How close to town centre

is it on a hill

is the pool big enough

do you have to fight for sunbeds

Gemerally all the things you need to know before you book

Ian

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,020 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: site giving hotel information

According to your profile you have written 8 reviews here including some hotel reviews. For me trip advisor is the best place to go for the specific information you are looking for. If you can't find your specific question in a review you can always ask it on the destination forum.

Most destination forums have maps of hotels where you can see where they are in relation to points of interest like the beach or town center.

Edited: 08 March 2013, 12:23
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,349 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: site giving hotel information

You'll never find what you're asking for.

Once upon a time, they used to have paper directories of such detailed information. But with the growth of the Internet and other forms of media, it's became obsolete. The other reason is that hotels don't want to pay others to provide information which they can provide on their own website at no cost.

Most decent hotels own website should provide a good majority of what you're asking, and the best hotel websites provides tips by their best concierges on local attractions, proximity, and handy tips.

Do your due diligence, find localities by researching, then research some more using hotel websites, third party sites as well as suggested above like TA reviews.

Edited: 08 March 2013, 13:42
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,718 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: site giving hotel information

I definitely use a combination of resources to do my planning. Definitely TripAdvisor (reviews and forum searches), Expedia reviews seem ok, Oyster for photos, then add things like Google Earth for location and satellite images. In the US, yelp is good. Also, get onto Facebook and Twitter pages for the properties and the localities. There is so much out there, you just have to look. But, no one single place has it all.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,020 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: site giving hotel information

I never rely on the hotel websites except perhaps to look at a map. I find hotels often exaggerate proximity to points of interest.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,805 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: site giving hotel information

Depending on where you are going, a good start could be to bring up google maps (maps.google.com) , zoom in and type the word "hotel". Then look at the names of hotels that seem to meet your criteria for being near the beach and near town center, then start reading TripAdvisor reviews and go each hotel's website.

Didcot, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: site giving hotel information

Looks like there is a gap in the market here for some bright spark to pull together a database with all the information in one list.

Guess I am just lazy and want someone else to do the work for me. But I still think it would be great to have all the information together on one site listed JUST like price comparison sights (Trip adviser are you listening?)

Looks like it could be a lucrative exercise once I retire and have some time on my hands (*ha ha)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,349 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: site giving hotel information

"JUST like price comparison sights"

Meta search engine sites are just exactly that, they offer you comparisons on room types and rates - and very little in terms of the amount of information you're after. Not only that, they are notoriously inaccurate with information, as it gathers what is floating around on the net, regardless of whether that information is endorsed by the hotel or not. It's effectively a collation of third and fourth party information, and no better than a game of Chinese whispers.

The sheer logistics involved would not make it financially viable. Otherwise hotel companies would have done so already.

8. Re: site giving hotel information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2014, 04:16