We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

G Adventures reviews

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
G Adventures reviews

Hello, just wanted to have reviews regarding this company G Adventures, http://www.gadventures.com, that a friend told me (never experience traveling with them) and I wanted to have more feedback before taking them in consideration. I really appreciate it.

Toronto, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: G Adventures reviews

G Adventures places you in disgusting hostels (note not unique or interesting but filthy), and cut corners on costs in every way possible. This I could understand if the trip packages were cheap and you were paying a reasonable sum but they are not. .. and in most cases far more expensive than better offerings from other tour companies. Anyone who uses G Adventures has not done their homework. For those of you claiming they would never make you sleep on the floor you're out to lunch. For their Egypt tour you sleep on a floating garbage heap huddled on the floor with a group of a dozen people without a bathroom on board like you were on a boat coming to America in 1830. If you want a feluca ride for an experience rent one for an hour ride. Or the $300 Anzac Memorial tour where you sleep in a sleeping bag on the ground .. because that's worth $300 and you couldn't do that on my own for free. Just to add perspective I have travelled to over 50 countries and been on the road for months at a time of budget backpacking travel so no I am not spoiled and yes I have extensive travel experience to know what I'm talking about. Anything you do can be done on your own or if you prefer a guide just make sure you do some homework as you will find your are overpaying for G Adventures in every case.

Toronto, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: G Adventures reviews

G Adventures places you in disgusting hostels (note not unique or interesting but filthy), and cut corners on costs in every way possible. This I could understand if the trip packages were cheap and you were paying a reasonable sum but they are not. .. and in most cases far more expensive than better offerings from other tour companies. Anyone who uses G Adventures has not done their homework. For those of you claiming they would never make you sleep on the floor you're out to lunch. For their Egypt tour you sleep on a floating garbage heap huddled on the floor with a group of a dozen people without a bathroom on board like you were on a boat coming to America in 1830. If you want a feluca ride for an experience rent one for an hour ride. Or the $300 Anzac Memorial tour where you sleep in a sleeping bag on the ground .. because that's worth $300 and you couldn't do that on my own for free. Just to add perspective I have travelled to over 50 countries and been on the road for months at a time of budget backpacking travel so no I am not spoiled and yes I have extensive travel experience to know what I'm talking about. Anything you do can be done on your own or if you prefer a guide just make sure you do some homework as you will find your are overpaying for G Adventures in every case.

West Kelowna, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: G Adventures reviews

We went with G on a 12 day Costa Rica tour. We hit 6 towns in 12 days. Crazy busy schedule but we got to see the hilights of Costa Rica. We booked on the Family Adventure and as it turned out we were the only 4 people registered for that tour and it still proceeded. Our guide was great, attentive, and a lot of fun. The accommodations were superb, the optional activities were great and so were the companies they used, the companies they hired to transport us from each location were top notch. The entire trip was amazing and it was so nice to have a hassle free holiday with all the hotels and transportation arranged for us.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: G Adventures reviews

Hi

I recently spent 3 weeks doing a tour of cental america (mexico, guatamala and belize) with G adventures. They were excellent. We stayed in some really good quality hotels that were in great locations. Hotels were clean, safe and comfortable. Most of them also had pools!!

Our guides were excellent and they organised the trip really well. We were well looked after and they helped us with any problems we had (e.g. someone on the trip was poorly and the guide took them to a local private hospital and stayed with them to translate between the Dr and patient, they also leant someone some cash when their card didn't work in the cash machine) and if there was anything we wanted to do during the tour, they did their best to help us organise this. We felt safe and really well looked after.

Clearly it is possible to do a tour of this region without a tour group and for less money, however G do provide piece of mind and ensure that you get the most from the trip. They make the travelling between locations really simple and ensure if all goes smoothly.

I am already planning on travelling with them again next summer.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: G Adventures reviews

Hi, I've travelled with G adventures twice to India and found everything to be fine. They almost always use local guides who are knowledgable, respectful of both their country and of your needs as a guest in their country. Both times I did the basic trip and most hotels were fine. Some in India do have a shower and toilet together so your toilet seat might get wet! I believe they are good value for money and equally as good as any others in the same price range and I have traveled with the other three main companies.

Incidentally I a currently at Hong Kong airport flying later to Bejiing to join a G adventures Ancient Empires trip so this will be my third with them. You can only speak as you find and I would and have recommended them to others.hope you have/have had a good trip.

Dana Point...
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: G Adventures reviews

MAJOR CUSTOMER SERVICE PROBLEM - G ADVENTURES: Sad to say. We have used them for eight trips in the past, and at one time would have recommended them with few reservations. This last year, their customer service has deteriorated significantly. Itineraries and tour leaders are generally good, with reasonable prices. We recently booked trips 9 and 10, after consulting with G Adventures who assured us there would be no problems timewise with obtaining letters of invitation (through G's contractor in the host country) with which to apply for a visa for trip 10. We are now running significantly late on our letters, with the real possibility of losing $11,000+ in travel already paid for. Other issues, less serious: phone calls not returned, having to make numerous requests for evaluation forms (to get a 5% discount on future travel), multiple uncoordinated replies to questions, etc.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: G Adventures reviews

Hi CalGalJerusalem,

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the miscommunications and mix ups. It would seem that there are many things that we did wrong to make this experience a less than enjoyable one.

I believe that one of our Stage Managers brought this issue to the attention of our customer service department this evening and we have already started the ball rolling to review the visa issue to make sure it doesn't happen to any of our travellers in the future. With respect to the communication issues, there is no excuse for that. I can honestly say that is usually one of our strengths.

Please email me at customerservice@gadventures.com so that I can be certain that we address ll of our issues. We will assist in any way we can to try and get those visas sorted out for you. Rest assured, if we have failed in our commitment to you, we will Do The Right Thing with the hope of renewing your faith in us.

Sincerely,

Neil

Customer Experience Manager

G Adventures - Base Camp - Toronto

Edited: 11 September 2013, 01:56
Toronto, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: G Adventures reviews

They are brutal. Anyone who uses G Adventures is a fool.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
29. Re: G Adventures reviews

India is an unsafe place for a woman to travel and I thought I would be safe going in a tour group. I've had a brilliant experience on a past gadventure tour so I felt good about it.

However, the tour guide Anurag Singh Shekhawat was a complete perv and drunk. He tried to hit on quite a few girls in the group when he was drunk including me and I had to run away. He drank throughout the day, turned up to our first meeting hungover from the morning. He called his friends constantly for catch ups and dismissed any questions anyone had throughout the trip. He drunk drove through the streets of Udaipur, I felt completely unsafe when with him, he put us into really dangerous situations and the response from Gadventures after showed they don't care about their traveller's safety.

If you're going to go, take pepper spray and keep your wits about you. Everything happening in the media isn't sensationalism- it's a very REAL sick attitude towards women out there.

Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: G Adventures reviews

Travelled with G Adventures (GAP at the time) to Torres Del Paine in Chilean Patagonia. From first call to saying goodbye to our amazing guide; Serkan, everything was superb. Our CEO went out of his way to provide us with the safest and most memorable experience possible. I'll add that we were in Patagonia in the off season at the start of winter, in a very remote area with no "creature comforts", and still had a fantastic trip with my Dad, and I am currently planning my next trip. Again, when we went they were known as GAP: Great Adventure People, and that's exactly what they were, and what the trip was: a great adventure with people. Cheers. Dan. Ontario,CAN.