We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotwire ....

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Hotwire ....

I have been using Hotwire for sometime and just recently I have booked hotels, blind and 3+ stars, and then have seen them MUCH cheaper on their own website. This has happened several times and today I made a reservation and then on the hotels website it was $15 cheaper then what I paid thru HOTWIRE. I called Hotwire and they said they have no control over the prices!? I do not understand how they work, I do not understand how they can say they are saving you money by buying blind - I just don't get it in general.

Has anyone had this issue recently? They did credit me back the difference and she didn't really want to give me the entire difference.... Now I have to use them again to use my credit. It wasted a lot of my time and is just annoying - almost like false advertising. ( on the site they say - you saved 38% - I saved NOTHING!)

Does anyone know of reputable sites for hotels - I thought HOTWIRE was but apparently not!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,451 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotwire ....

There are many posts on this forum about Hotwire. My question to you is what business doesn't advertise that they have low prices? Car dealers, grocery stores, electronics stores, everybody always has the lowest price if you listen to their ads.

The only way to determine who actually has the lowest price is by doing research. If you are interested in saving money you have to research Hotwire, the hotel websites and a selection of other sites.

If you don't want to "waste a lot of your time" as you wrote to do research you can expect you will not always get the lowest price no matter who you book from.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotwire ....

Thanks PRZYK for the reality check.... I used to do a lot of reseach and check and review. I have discovered I have gotten lazy and complacent! For my big trips I delve into all sorts of reviews and sitesdoing multiple checks but for my little overnight or weekend trips I just rely on these other sites to be the best and on the ball as if it were me doing the work.....

I'm going back to doing my own research becasue the amount of time I spent on this reservation I could have easily done it on my own without Hotwire -

Thanks again!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,451 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotwire ....

It really doesn't take that much time. I usually start with hotels.com to get a feel for prices in the area. When I see a hotel I like I go to the hotel website and if the price is the same as hotels.com I book it, especially if I can cancel without penalty. At that point I may look at Hotwire or even consider bidding on Priceline if I am not fussy about exactly where I want to stay.

Some people on this forum are researching vacations to exotic locations all around the world, so that would warrant more time for research.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotwire ....

Hotels have a bunch of different rates. They have their highest base rates, then adjusted rates based on demand, and sale rates, and other sale rates on top of that. There is no guarantee that the rate the hotel gave hotwire will be lower than their lowest sale rate for the particular travel dates. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

If you ended up getting an acceptable hotel at an acceptable rate for minimal effort, then that's all that really matters. If you need to now that you will get the lowest possible rate for a hotel, that takes a lot of time and effort, and you still won't know for sure whether you could get it for less on a hidden identity site.

This is from the hotwire site, right on their main hotel page: * Savings based on lowest published rate we've found on leading retail travel sites in the last 24-48 hours for the same neighborhood, star rating, and stay dates. Availability is limited and rates are subject to change. Prices are dynamic and vary based on date of booking, length of stay and hotel class. There is no guarantee that these prices will be in effect at the time of your search.

It's quite possible that the rate was lower than the "leading retail travel sites" at the time. Occasionally hotels have better deals on their own website.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotwire ....

Thanks so much for your reply and Hotwire did say that that was the rate the hotel gave them and they could not control that. She also told me that that is why they have a price gaurantee. I get all of that but she wasn't even going to give me all of the diference because their taxes and fees were different from the hotels. I also realize that there are many different rates that one hotel may have and now getting your information really makes me think a little more about my bookings.

I appreciate everyones eye opening responses.....

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,003 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotwire ....

There are a few hint boards/sites out there, too. Like www.betterbidding.com , www.biddingfortravel.com , and www.biddingtraveler.com can all offer some additional data to your research on bidding.

Edited: 06 May 2013, 16:59
Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
5 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotwire ....

I will not be using Hotwire again. They offered a very good rate at a Sheraton and I called and spoke with a customer sales rep in person because I wanted to make certain I would have a room with 2 beds. I was advised that while Hotwire could not confirm that, as soon as I secured the reservation, I could call the number supplied by Hotwire and request a room with 2 beds. I confirmed, called the number for Sheraton supplied by Hotwire, and was advised by Sheraton that there was no truth to this and they could not promise that my request would be granted. When I called Hotwire back, they refused to refund my money. After filing a dispute with Chase Bank and the Better Business Bureau, they finally refunded my money. There are many competitors out there - no need to use Hotwire. I've used these types of websites for years now and have found recently that the brand name hotel sites will frequently have a price that matches these sites, PLUS you will get your frequent use points. No matter what you use, ALWAYS shop around and compare.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,996 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotwire ....

Bjanemcgh.....Hotwire can not guarantee 2 beds just as most every hotel will not guarantee a 2 bed room.

You say Hotwire told you to call the hotel and "request" 2 beds. That is all you can do. Do you know what a "request" is?

Too bad you got your money refunded because you did not deserve it, based on what you've told us. A request and a promise are very different things. I suspect you confused the two words when making the credit card claim.

It's bogus claims such as yours that make the BBB worthless too.

9. Re: Hotwire ....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 July 2013, 17:35
Edited: 13 July 2013, 17:35
Iowa
Level Contributor
9,996 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotwire ....

Sheraton would be unable to alter your reservation booked thru Hotwire, true. But for Sheraton to decline your request is their bad customer service, not Hotwire.

Again, very few hotels will guarantee bed types regardless of the reservation you made. Anyone that travels a lot has come across this situation, including myself more than once.

Hotwire tells you this when you book a room....

•Rooms will sleep the number of guests, but bed types and sizes aren't guaranteed.

There are hotels that charge extra to guarantee bed types.

Hotwire sold you a room. Sheraton provided poor customer service in not taking your request.