We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Online Travel Agents - Issues & How They Operate

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,396 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Online Travel Agents - Issues & How They Operate

Millions of travellers use Online Travel Agencies, having hassle free and overall pleasant experiences. However, there are countless stories here on Tripadvisor from those who have encountered a variety of bad experiences when dealing with Online Travel Agents. The following article provides a synopsis of common issues, faced by unfortunate travellers who have booked via an Online Travel Agent (see link below).

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255055-c195825/Au…

Importantly, part of understanding this range of issues is to also have a clear understanding of what these Online Travel Agents actually are in the first place. The Following article attempts to describe the various categories in which the vast majority of Online Travel Agents fall within (see link).

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255055-c195752/Au…

Having a better picture of what Online Travel Agents actually are and the potential issues you may encounter if you decided to work with them can help you make informed decisions before making your future holiday bookings.

A special note of thanks and appreciation to BradJill, DE on the Holiday Travel forum for his contribution in composing the above information.

Happy Travels

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Online Travel Agents - Issues & How They Operate

I agree with you. But you can not claim all of travel agents. I understand some of the travellers have had bad experience but also some have good experience. So don't claim all of travel agents.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Online Travel Agents - Issues & How They Operate

I agree with Crystal Travel, you can't generalize and make them all bad, come on, there is good and bad in the travel industry just like in any other industry and just like in our everyday life isn't there?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,396 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Online Travel Agents - Issues & How They Operate

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. The thread is actually to highlight the two articles which shows what type of Online Travel Agents operate and what to do if a traveller experiences and misunderstandings or difficulties.

So I can correct that in the article - could you be so kind to point out where the generalization and criticism occurred?

Greatly appreciate it

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,636 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Online Travel Agents - Issues & How They Operate

The generalization certainly did not occur in your lead sentence

"Millions of travellers use Online Travel Agencies, having hassle free and overall pleasant experiences."

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,055 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Online Travel Agents - Issues & How They Operate

IF you read both articles you will see that they are just giving information to travelers about the types of online agencies and how their services are provided. The articles also talk about the types of problems people have found and how to deal with them. I thought the articles were well written. I think the only suggestion I would make is that in the article which describes different sorts of online agencies it would have been helpful to have an example of each type. From reading the info presented I would not be able to tell which online agency fit into each category.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,858 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Online Travel Agents - Issues & How They Operate

"I agree with Crystal Travel, you can't generalize and make them all bad, come on, there is good and bad in the travel industry just like in any other industry and just like in our everyday life isn't there?"

Did you even read the articles? At no point is it claimed that all online travel sites are bad. It's really not even claimed that some are bad.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,396 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Online Travel Agents - Issues & How They Operate

Cheers przyk, Lex and Riff.

Riff, absolutely. I was going to give example but halfway through, I hesitated as I didnt want it to appear like I was endorsing any particular agents. But I can certainly add a few examples by all means. I also have to add another point to the types of OTA's - Opaque sites, which I wrote on a seperate note during a long flight, but when I tried to copy and paste, the margins and font screwed up pretty bad and I was ready to throw my tablet...

I shall edit the article shortly.

Thanks again everyone, always appreciate feedback from the experienced regulars.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
825 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Online Travel Agents - Issues & How They Operate

Given the number of people who post here a out using online agencies or booking sites, should this perhaps be made a sticky? Or added to the permanent list of useful articles at top right?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,161 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Online Travel Agents - Issues & How They Operate

<Given the number of people who post here a out using online agencies or booking sites, should this perhaps be made a sticky? Or added to the permanent list of useful articles at top right?>

I agree...but the problem is that people will vent and complain whether there is a Top Question or Sticky tey read or not. In some cases, all they want is to complain after they made a mistake. When I was a DE for this board, I pushed to just rename the board, but that idea was veto'd, so I just told them to remove my DE tag.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,396 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Online Travel Agents - Issues & How They Operate

I truely feel for you bk_t1, this would have been the toughest forum to moderate and to DE.

If there was one thing I could change about this forum would be for it to become a place for people to ask questions, not to merely gripe and never come back. But again, that is exactly what you pointed out, and it comes back to square one. You have any ideas how to reduce these single hits?