We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental brokers such as carrentals.com, hotwire.com etc

Bangalore, India
9 posts
Save Topic
Car rental brokers such as carrentals.com, hotwire.com etc

Hello,

I plan on hiring a car in USA in the month of July. I am a foreign tourist travelling from India. I have been taking a look at several of the big names in the car rental business such as Avis, Hertz, Budget etc.However, all of them seem to be way too expensive than the third party car rental broker companies such as carrentals.com, traveljigsaw,easyclicktrave,holiday autos etc.

Basically, what i dont understand is that , how do the car rental brokers such ascarrentals.com, traveljigsaw,easyclicktrave,holiday autos etc. manage to offer lower rates than what the car rental companies themselves offer on their web sites?

Most of these car rental brokers such ascarrentals.com, traveljigsaw,easyclicktrave,holiday autos etc. also include insurance in their price, which is way cheaper than what say Avis offers.

Do the terms of the insurance vary in both?

I am a foreign tourist thinking of renting a car for 7 days in the month of July. The car prices from the rental companies are very expensive compared to carrentals.com, traveljigsaw,easyclicktrave,holiday autos etc.

Questions:

-How reliable are the car rental brokers such as carrentals.com, traveljigsaw,easyclicktrave,holiday autos etc.

-Which is the best among the car rental broker companies ?

-I am not sure if the insurance offerred will be adequate enough from traveljigsaw, easyclicktravel since Avis charges 24$ for LDW.

-Also, when you book through carrentals.com, traveljigsaw,easyclicktrave,holiday autos etc. and appear at the car rental counter to pick up your car, i am sure the rental employees try to fool you and see you some insurance. Kindly let me know if any additional insurance is required on top of what is offerred.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Kiran Hegde

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental brokers such as carrentals.com, hotwire.com etc

You are best to check with your local insurance agent to find out what you need to purchase for a rental car.

Many foreign visitors to the US report getting better deals and insurance protection by reserving rental cars thru an agent in their home country. I don't recall reading that specifically for India, but I know I've read it from Europeans.

You are correct that agents at the rental counter may try to talk you into purchasing additional insurance that you don't need. That's why you need to get the facts from your insurance agent. Then you can be confident to tell the desk agent at the rental company that you know you are fully protected and don't need extra coverage.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental brokers such as carrentals.com, hotwire.com etc

Just be careful what type of 'insurance' the broker is offering. We had a problem with a broker in the UK when we bought the excess reduction policy. I totally understood that in the event of an accident, we would pay the excess to the local car rental then claim back from the broker however, when we had an accident, they refused to pay because it was a third party at fault! They said because the money would eventually come back through the insurance claim we weren't covered. We ended up having to wait 6 months to get €1500 back ( from the italian hire car company) Nowhere in their terms did it say a third party fault accident was not covered. I'd never use a broker for extra insurance or excess reduction again.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 17:08
Bangalore, India
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental brokers such as carrentals.com, hotwire.com etc

Thanks folks.

Do you have any suggestions on what car rental brokers are good and reliable?

carrentals.com or hotwire etc.

Do let me know.

Thanks,

Kiran Hegde

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental brokers such as carrentals.com, hotwire.com etc

For travelers from the UK and Australia coming here to the USA we often recommend they use non USA companies like traveljigsaw or carhire3000 because they include needed insurance AND they allow you to pick up the car in one place and drop it off in another city/state without an added drop off fee.

I don't know if being from India you can use these companies but I'd try. They are very reliable.

The other thing to do would be IF you use a USA car company like Hertz or Avis then make sure you put in your home location and don't use the dot com site.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental brokers such as carrentals.com, hotwire.com etc

Car hire 3000 (which I believe is part of travel jigsaw or vice versa) were who I was referring to. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole in the Uk. Maybe they are different in the uS but they were at best unprofessional and at worst unscrupulous when a problem arose. (For me)

6. Re: Car rental brokers such as carrentals.com, hotwire.com etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions