We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leading Hotels of the World - Best Rate Guarantee

Kent
Level Contributor
22 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Leading Hotels of the World - Best Rate Guarantee

Has anyone else had problems getting a LHW hotel to honour their best rate guarantee?

I recently tried to book some rooms for family holiday in Rome and found a great rate through Last Minute Travel. I called LHW reservations and asked them to match the price I'd been quoted under their best rate guarantee. They then called the hotel who, I was told by the booking agent, refused to match the price I has been quoted by LMT.

All the criteria for claiming the best rate guarantee were met and confirmed by LHW. It was just that this particular hotel refused to play ball.

Can anyone tell me what;s going on here??

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,243 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leading Hotels of the World - Best Rate Guarantee

Hi m1og,

The only way a participating hotel can technically decline the price match, is if that inventory for that room type, over the exact dates had sold out during the comparison process.

Beyond that, without specific details of your reservation, it's difficult to comment.

Kent
Level Contributor
22 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leading Hotels of the World - Best Rate Guarantee

Hi KVE1005,

Thanks for your reply which makes perfect sense.

In my case, however, there were plenty of rooms available at the hotel in question (the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese in Rome) on the exact dates and still are. Even the reservations people at LHW were frustrated and apologetic that the hotel refused to honour the terms of their Best Rate Guarantee.

LHW reservations called the hotel over a number of days trying to get them to yield but with no success. After waiting a week or so with no response I went back to Last Minute Travel and booked my room through them.

Unfortunately the original rate I wanted had increased substantially by then and I was forced to pay a much higher price than I would have done had the hotel had met their obligations a week before. This is disappointing as this vacation is for our 25th wedding anniversary celebrations and I have had to book a basic room to remain within my original budget.

I have tried communicating with the hotel but they are stonewalling me and I sense a real problem with the management there.

We've stayed at other LHW properties many times before and found them to be perfect but the Aldrovandi's attitude is making me very nervous about staying there for our special celebration.

Any suggestions apart from cancelling and going to another hotel?

Thanks, John

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,243 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leading Hotels of the World - Best Rate Guarantee

My absolute pleasure.

I can understand your concerns, but the fact that a dispute has transpired should have little to no bearing on your reservation at that property. But having stated this, it is italy after all, and nothing surprises me with hotels in that country.

Whilst it is of no consolation to you, participating members of LHW who frequently 'breach' marketing promotions, are subject to internal penalties, ranging from monetary fines, all the way to their LHW membership being withdrawn. So the consequences can be quite steep. I've seen properties removed at the drop of a hat, as LHW is quite a reputable 'guild' who maintains a very high profile around the world. Being dumped from such a membership can have a detrimental effect on the properties ability to market to top end clientele globally. So rest assured that LHW won't be taking it lightly with that hotel.

In regards to your reservation, Aldrovandi Villa Borghese is a beautiful product. The highlights of their signature restaurant and the proximity to the gardens, are outstanding. Your circumstance depends entirely on the flexibility of the reservation - and the Terms & Condition of Last Minute Travel. If it is favourable and you wish to cancel, there are a few others I can recommend of similar quality.

Hotel Hassler, Regina Hotel Baglioni, Rome Cavalieri (bit far from the centre), and the grand old dame The Westin Excelsior, would all match it in style and elegance.

However, in saying all of the above, how much time exactly will you be spending in the room, in a city like Rome? The difference between their Superior Room and Junior Suites is 10sq meters, but the decor is extremely similar. Their Superior Rooms are of similar size rooms to many of the best properties in Europe.

It is entirely your choice of course, but don't over think this situation too much, as it should really have no bearing on your stay. But if you decide to cancel and move (after all due consideration), I strongly recommend the Hassler, if its within your expectations.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,805 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leading Hotels of the World - Best Rate Guarantee

The Best Rate Guarantee and a "price match" are two different things.

According to LHW website you must book a room and then make the price guarantee claim. I couldn't find anything that said they or their hotels would price match.

LHW would not need to call the hotel to ask about the guarantee because the price guarantee is made by them and not the hotels.

I have found very few hotels or websites will price match. I have used best price guarantees successfully. In fact, several times with Expedia.

5. Re: Leading Hotels of the World - Best Rate Guarantee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions