We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels.com... Beware! Do your research!!

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels.com... Beware! Do your research!!

BRAVO!!! So true!! We recently booked a room through them and found out if we had booked the hotel directly, we would have paid 1/2 the price!!! Hotels.com DOES NOT CARE!! Not worth getting the 10th night free if your overpaying for the first ten!!!! And this isn't the first time.. I have them the benefit of the doubt the first time.. Ok, I was not smart.. Gave them a second chance.. Then was ignorant enough to try one last time.. Word of advice.. Call the hotel directly before you book with hotel,com.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,059 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels.com... Beware! Do your research!!

>>>And this isn't the first time.. I have them the benefit of the doubt the first time.. Ok, I was not smart.. Gave them a second chance.. Then was ignorant enough to try one last time<<<

Enough said.

Your advice is correct, but not just for Hotels.com, for any site - before your third use.

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels.com... Beware! Do your research!!

I probably should have made it clear that we travel extensively and had found a couple of better rates.. The disappointment came in that A. They did not honor their best price guarantee and B. by then I had bought 7!resvations and was hoping to recoup lost money by booking the last 3 rooms and getting one for free.. Sometimes you do get a better rate.. Sometimes you don't.. But don't guarantee me it's the best rate and then transfer me 3 times to be on the phone for 1/2 an hour and not do anything to fix it. I do not have the time to fax/email the hotel rate offered And my bill.. They know what I paid as I have a membership and they should call the hotel.. I'm sure they have their number. I've already been put out with the deal anyway.. Thanks!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,265 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels.com... Beware! Do your research!!

If saving money is a factor for you (or any traveller) then spending a little time to do the research, which includes calling the hotel, is well worth it, just to make sure you got the best deal. I tend to be very skeptical of the "Lowest prices allowed by law!" type things, or the lowest price guarantee - I think you usually end up spending more time chasing that down than you would if you'd done the research up-front.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,059 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels.com... Beware! Do your research!!

OP - could I ask about the above situation.

The price you saw or quoted from the hotel - did that happen to be a Long Stay rate? I would verify that with the hotel, because the hotel being 50% cheaper seems excessive.

Not all hotels advertise Long Stay rates on third party site (many advertise min 3 night, but rarely the min 7 night)

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,067 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels.com... Beware! Do your research!!

I am disappointed with this site as well.........I have booked through them on quite a few occasions over the past two years (after checking prices on other sites first) and have gotten lower rates (not a lot, but a little).....fortunately have not had to cancel, but I have found that not all the places I have booked through them are eligible and do not count towards the free night......fully half of the ones we had stayed at did not count, so what's the purpose......

Regarding Orbitz, the one time I used them, the hotel had not been notified of our booking, fortunately they had rooms available and honored the rate, but I would not count on them in the future, either.......

I have found the best way to get the best rate is to just call the hotel (not their 800 #) at the location where you want to stay and talk to the manager directly.....ask about any local, senior or other rates......get your confirmation in writing and take it with you.......

6. Re: Hotels.com... Beware! Do your research!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 05:19