We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belgium in June

St. Louis, Missouri
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Belgium in June

We must travel to Belgium in June (or anytime during the summer). We are taking 3 children. Im looking at the airfare as of now, and no matter how I go about doing it.... we are looking at $900++ for flight from St. Louis.

What is some advice for finding cheaper flights? Wait? Are they this high because we are so far out? Do you think waiting for last minute deals are to risky with children? How about the 'name your own price'?

We are not on a time crunch, we are very flexible with time...

Any advice is greatly appreciated, not just answering the questions.THANK YOU

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belgium in June

If $900 is the R/T fare then it is actually a good rate for flying to Europe in June. I doubt you will do much better by waiting,

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,872 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belgium in June

In reverse order - NYOP - not for me, I think there's too much risk for flights. But, I've done it for hotels. See www.betterbidding.com for more information.

Last minute "deals" are a misnomer - especially for flights. As seats on a plane sell out, prices get higher. While last minute might have worked 15 years ago, this is no longer the case; especially with kids.

For next June, no one can tell if $900+ is right or wrong. If we could predict airfares, we'd sure make a lot of money.

Saying this, $800-$1000 sounds about right to me personally. I personally would monitor this fare until about 2-4 months in advance and pull the trigger then, but that's my strategy and based on my budget. You need to decide the "risk" if the fare goes up, vs. the reward if it goes down a little. If $900 fits your budget now, book it.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belgium in June

Nothing wrong with $900 from STL. I have been looking at fares to AMS or LHR form DSM or ORD for next May. Fares are about $1100. I have been tempted to book but haven't yet. If I found a $900 fare I would be all over it.

I would not do NYOP, especially with children. Actually, I wouldn't do it for myself. The times and connections can be any imaginable or unimaginable routes and times and the savings is minimal.

Have you tried other airports? Indy, KC, or Chicago? If there are 5 of you a savings of one or two hundred each could make the drive worth while.

Do not go looking around the internet for cheap airfare websites. Book direct with the airline.

Edited: 22 September 2013, 15:01
4. Re: Belgium in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 06:20