We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! Debt Ceiling crisis = exchange dollars for euros now?

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! Debt Ceiling crisis = exchange dollars for euros now?

I am leaving for a trip from the US to Ireland on October 15th, the debt ceiling deadline is the 17th. The closer we get to the deadline with no resolution, the worse the exchange rate will get. Worse yet, if we DON'T raise the debt ceiling by the deadline, the dollar will presumably plummet. I don't want to be stuck in Ireland when that happens and all of a sudden have the exchange rate be awful. But then again, if we DO meet the deadline in the next 10 days, the dollar should see a slight bounce. I am absolutely at loss at what I should do in order to maximize my dollar for this trip. HELP. any opinions would be welcome!!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,877 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! Debt Ceiling crisis = exchange dollars for euros now?

I think your assumptions about what may or may not trigger the dollar's value to "plummet" are false. I would not worry at all. The exchange rate will be what it will be - and the treasury and Fed will keep it mostly in line.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! Debt Ceiling crisis = exchange dollars for euros now?

It's a punt either way.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! Debt Ceiling crisis = exchange dollars for euros now?

Someone on the Ireland forum suggested that I ask our hotels and Avis if we can prepay now (so, our larger expenses on the trip). Then just hope for the best in terms of our spending money. I think this sounds like a smart strategy. I figure that IF the dollar does get a bump, it will be small, but if we do default, it could potentially drop a decent amount. By prepaying our big expenses now, I won't feel as screwed if it does come to that ;) thanks for the input!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! Debt Ceiling crisis = exchange dollars for euros now?

If you really want to prepay your hotel, email them direct and request for a Credit Card Authorisation form. Once this is completed and remitted, the hotel will charge immediately upon receiving the form.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,818 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! Debt Ceiling crisis = exchange dollars for euros now?

I think you are really worrying needlessly!

IF the idiots in Washington actually allow a default then it won't just be the USA dollar that goes crazy!! It will be the whole world economy that gets messed up!!

You cannot predict the exchange rate so just go along with your normal planning.

If you feel more comfortable pre paying stuff then do that but I'd just keep on with whatever I had originally planned!!

6. Re: HELP! Debt Ceiling crisis = exchange dollars for euros now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2014, 06:21