We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotelsclick - Review (Summary: Avoid them at all costs)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotelsclick - Review (Summary: Avoid them at all costs)

Hi,

I booked a hotel, Hotel Africa (%72 on TA) using Hotelsclick because it showed as a booking partner for tripadvisor and I trusted it without doing more research.

3 days after my booking, on the day of chek-in and on a ferry to Rhodes, I got a message that our original hotel overbooked and we were placed in another hotel down the street by the hotel management.

We went to our new hotel, Venus Hotel and instead of a queen room in a decent hotel, we found this filthy, inhabitable place that'd be closed down in a day if it was in US or Canada due to several safety code violations.

Here are the pics:

flickr.com/photos/…72157636191062316

So here is why you should avoid at all costs booking from Hotelsclick.com

1. NO 24/7 PHONE SUPPORT FOR EMERGENCIES

We arrived to our hotel at 8PM due to ferry schedules. That night, I spend money and time, trying to call their Europe, North America and Asia numbers hoping that one would answer and none did. All their numbers forward to their office in Italy which closes at 7PM and opens up at 9AM next morning. So if you are anywhere other than Europe, and you booked through them, and even if it is daytime, normal business hours where you are traveling, you will get no answer, you'll be left high and dry with your luggages on the street.

2. HOTELSCLICK DIDN'T EVEN CONFIRM THE REBOOKING

After pocketing our money, they didn't even confirm the rebooking by phone with Venus Hotel because if they did, they would have found out that the hotel had no queen rooms that night to being with.

3. HOTELSCLICK DIDNT EVEN BOTHER CHECKING TA, THEIR BIGGEST AFFILIATE

Although HC could not have known how bad the rooms were, in an effort to get us a comparable room, they could have at least checked TA, and found out that Venus Hotel is rated at %36 and Hotel Africa, our original booking, at %72, that's twice the rating there and it should mean something.

4. HOTELSCLICK MIGHT BE LYING ABOUT THE WHOLE THING

When I was trying to sort this mess out that night, I called the original hotel we booked. The hotel manager told me they never accepted Hotelsclick's booking because they were sold out weeks ago. Venus Hotel said they also had never heard of Hotelsclick and got the booking through some travel agency in Rhodes. On the other hand, Hotelsclick insists that they got news of "overbooking" on the day of check-in.

Because of all of the above, I had to leave my fiance in that filthy room, walk around town to find a hotel with rooms until I found one that offered me to use their internet and booked a hotel for that night, at 9:30 PM through expedia.com

I paid 3 times what I had budgeted, lost hours trying to find a hotel, spent tons of money on roaming charges trying to call Hotelsclick and talking to Hotel Africa.

Any site that offers cheap prices is a good site when nothing goes wrong. But Hotelsclick offers those prices at their customers' expense, advertising hotels that are already booked, which is called "bait and switch", and not providing any support when you need it.

My advice to someone traveling: Don't add one more risk factor by using an unreliable site like Hotelsclick, use one with at least 24/7 phone support. Also don't make the same mistake I did and read all the other bad reviews about Hotelsclick out there and you'll start seeing a pattern.

Trip Advisor: There are tons reputable of hotel booking sites out there you can partner with so please remove HotelsClick from your trusted partners because they are using your name to add credibility to their site which is nothing but a front for a company that'll leave their customers out in the open and won't even spend 5 mins to confirm a rebooking after taking our money.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,197 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotelsclick - Review (Summary: Avoid them at all costs)

When you're deciding which hotel booking company to trust, I suggest you perform this simple test: search for the Quality Hotel Calgary Airport. If the booking company shows it as available, then their information is unreliable. This hotel closed in June 2012 and is now being converted to low-cost housing:

cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/09/19/…

TripAdvisor removed the hotel in Sept 2012, but now has added it again, probably because one of their booking partners lists it.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,386 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotelsclick - Review (Summary: Avoid them at all costs)

Hotelsclick did lie to you.

1. Hotels do not advise people of overbooking three days in advance. Why? Because until the day of your arrivals, they aren't to know how many people are going to No Show. If they do, they will do so with an admission of overbooking and find a suitable alternative. Very rare that a hotel gets the agent to inform you.

2. The hotel is telling you the truth. They don't know who Hotelclicks are, because they are a fourth party reseller. When you purchased accommodation from them, you didn't buy a reservation, you bought a 'request'. They merely searched the net, couldn't find what you requested, so they booked you something else, using another agent.

3. If you read their terms and conditions, you'll find it's probably not a 'Bait and Switch'. There's bound to be a clause that provides for 'unforeseen' changes. Most resellers do.

4. The ratings on TA doesn't mean anything to third party agents. If they believe a three star is worth a five star, it's entirely their prerogative. It's not official. So as long as they moved you to what they believe is equal, they've fulfilled your request.

5. Whilst they may change your accommodation, they also have to give you the option to cancel with a full refund. Did they offer it to you? And if so, did you accept?

Edited: 07 October 2013, 19:04
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotelsclick - Review (Summary: Avoid them at all costs)

They didn't offer me an option to cancel.

If what the hotel is saying is true, then they didn't take the reservation in the first place, ever.

Unforseen circumstances are one thing, a track record of offering cheap prices and then changing reservations to cheaper/worse hotels or changing the prices is another thing which what all these show:

ripoffreport.com/reports/…HotelsClick.com

Most importantly, a booking website that advertises booking hotels globally should also have at least an emergency line operating 24/7

Also it should pay the due diligence and make sure my re-booking is up to par with the original accommodation.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,474 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotelsclick - Review (Summary: Avoid them at all costs)

I would bet a box of Thomas Haas chocolates that the hotel did not have your ressie. You have to remember that almost anyone can be a booking agency. I could open a business and do it as could you. The internet is the Wild West when it comes to this stuff. Internet businesses like this are registered in places where it would take the law a while to catch up with them, if at all. I could make up Terms and Conditions. No one would read them. No one reads other T&Cs, why would they start with mine. Look at the bountiful number of car renters who come on this site to complain about all kinds of things that they could have prevented by reading the T&Cs, linked on the rental car website.

An online booking agency should do a lot of ethical and moral things. But some of them don't. It seems that doing the homework, asking questions, expecting nothing until homework is done is the way to go.

One option at this point that may be open to you is to file a dispute with your credit card company. Keep all your reservation details and the details of the place you ended up, the photos as well. You may be able to get your money back due to "service not provided." But do look at those T&Cs for hotelsclick first. They may tell you that the company did exactly what they said they would, and what you agreed to when you clicked "buy."

In the meantime, follow the Air Travel Forum here on TA to bring yourself up to date with the kinds of shams these online booking agencies can foist on the customer. Look for topics like: 'NEVER, NEVER FLY AIR XYZ" and "Airline XYZ BAIT AND SWITCH!!!!!!" and other such titles. Usually in all capital letters.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

If you plan to go to New York City, read the Top Questions on that forum, because if you book an apartment for less than 30 days, you are potentially entering a world of trouble.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,386 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotelsclick - Review (Summary: Avoid them at all costs)

I agree with MMm.

I too would dispute this entire purchase with your credit card company as service not provided/false purchase. Your credit card company would send Hotelsclick a request to submit evidence that you stayed at the property of purchase, at which point they will have to obtain a folio of the account from the stated hotel - which they cannot do.

MMm - where would you like your box of chocolates delivered?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,474 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotelsclick - Review (Summary: Avoid them at all costs)

Just throw them over KVE, the cakehole is open!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotelsclick - Review (Summary: Avoid them at all costs)

I did file a dispute and I did get my money back but at the same time, I still believe I have a responsibility to tell other travelers about this AND TA needs to be more selective when they show sites as their official partners.

That's why I wrote this under "help us make TA better" forum.

If the link didn't come through TA, I wouldn't have even thought of using a site I never heard of before like Hotelsclick no matter what the price is.

Us, the users provide pretty much %99 of the content here on TA, from reviews to photos and videos. Using that content, TA makes tons of money on advertisements, affiliate commissions and sales of the site usage data.

So in exchange for that, I don't think it is too much to ask TA to screen their booking partners.

Right on Hotelsclick's frontpage, there is TA's logo so they are using their endorsement to lure customers.

Let's put aside all the incident specific details, what kind of booking company has 9AM to 7PM, Italy time, customer service hours for both their phone lines and email, although they book hotels all over the world.

Expedia, travelocity, booking.com, airbnb ... All these sites have 24/7 customer support.

I know banks that are open for longer than Hotelsclick's phone line.

Can there be a better sign of lack of customer support and satisfaction?

On top of that, their online reviews, like the ones I linked at above, or you can check their FB page even, shows a very clear track record of advertising cheaper prices than other sites, and then either changing the hotel or the price after they authorize your credit card.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,474 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotelsclick - Review (Summary: Avoid them at all costs)

You're absolutely right. I hope TA takes your comments and suggestions to heart.

Dublin
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotelsclick - Review (Summary: Avoid them at all costs)

I put up a complaint about hotels.click a few months ago on this forum and it remained a topic for a short time but appears to have since disappeared. Like you, I trusted it because it was affiliated with TA. Like you, i will not be using this site again. Like you, I posted on this forum hoping to warn other TA users. Most importantly of all, I hoped that it would lead TA to reassess their relationship with this site and perhaps cancel their affilitation but that appears to be a vain hope. As you have no doubt discovered, the internet is littered with complaints about this site. Although a number of TA location gurus answered my posting, mainly to defend TA, I am still waiting for a reply from TA itself.

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotelsclick - Review (Summary: Avoid them at all costs)

Here is hotmail888's thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k6566987…